26

Michael's POV

This isn't the first time I've found Ashton like that. Covered in his own blood with his wrists gashed open from his own attack. This time was harder though. He was completely unconscious this time and I just knew I'd be attending a funeral in a few days instead of just fixing what's been broken. What Luke's mom did was completely unnecessary. Ashton isn't the kid in those police reports, he's a different person now.

I've watched him change into a better person since he moved in with me and since Luke. Ashton is definitely someone that runs away from things but I think all the running finally led him to something he needed. It's the best feeling to watch your best friend morph into a happier person but it's the worst feeling to find them clinging onto life in your bathtub.

I haven't been able to leave Ashton's side since he was put in this room and I have no intentions to leave. My mom left a few minutes ago to get coffee, leaving me with my unconscious best friend. Did he actually think I'd be better off without him? There's no way in hell I would be okay if Ashton was no longer in my life.

The doctors said he'd wake up on his own soon but I'm growing impatient. I want him awake so I know he's alive and still with me. His wrists are under thick bandages with stitches holding them together. They weren't as bad as initially thought but he lost a lot of blood. I hate that he did this and I hate that I didn't prevent it.

Crying is my least favorite thing to do in this whole world but seeing Ashton like this and knowing he will probably never be the same, is killing me. My hands furiously wipe away the tears but it's no use. I put my head against the mattress of this stupid hospital bed to catch a sob but I can't stop the shaking sobs that do escape. I hate him for this but I love him so damn much. He's like my fucking brother and without him I'm alone.

"You never were pretty when you cried Michael." A small voice sounded from above me and I snapped my tear stained face up to see an awake Ashton.

"Ash?" I tried to say but it came out more like a sob.

"What happened Mikey?" He asked and looked around the room. His face was pale and his eyes looked too big for his face. He looked exhausted.

"You-you uh..." I stammered and tried to wipe away the remaining tears.

"Oh no Mikey I'm so sorry." His voice cracked with emotion when he caught on.

"It's okay Ash, it's okay because you are going to be just fine." I said and scooted closer to him. I watched a tear slide down his cheek and he opened his arms for me. I obliged and rested my head against the older boys chest.

"I love you so much Mikey. I thought you didn't need me but I know in my heart you do. I was just so angry." His voice was again strangled by emotion. I let out a small sob.

"I love you too Ashton. You are my brother, of course I need you." I looked up to my teary eyed best friend.

"He hates me doesn't he." His face twisted into a pained expression at the mention of Luke.

"He doesn't hate you Ash." I said and looked towards the door. Luke has been sitting outside the door since last night. He had to come to the hospital to get his hand cleaned up and luckily the wound wasn't deep enough to need stitches. I told him he could come in once Ash was awake, if Ashton even wanted to see him.

"I messed everything up and I saw the hatred in his eyes Mikey." He said with his lip quivering.

"No, just hang on." I stood up and hurried over to the door to get Luke. The exhausted tear stained boy was sitting against the wall and I waved him into the room.