9

Luke's POV

I don't know what came over me or why I asked Ashton if I could skip school with him today but here I am. I'm sitting in the backseat of Michael's fancy car, speeding down the highway to god knows where. I've never ever skipped school before and when my mom finds out I did this she's never going to unground me.

Not that it mattered, I didn't have anyone to hang out with besides Calum and my job at the theater was about to start up again. Let me tell you I am a social butterfly. But at least my job would give me some money to spend and maybe save up for a car.

I watched as Michael and Ashton sang along to the blaring music and they just seemed so free. They changed the lyrics a few times and both burst into laughter. I wished I could be free like that. Maybe that's why I asked if I could tag along today. When the car slowed to a stop I glanced out the window to unfamiliar surroundings.

"Where are we?" I asked and Michael glanced at Ashton with a humorous look on his face.

"A side of town that you probably won't like very much but I was thirsty Lukey so watch and learn." Ashton said as we walked into a run down convenient store. I stood closer to Michael as Ashton walked to the other side of the store.

I looked around the store and the clerk was barely coherent. She looked well into her 70's and like she hadn't slept in a week. My eyes spotted Ashton in the liquor aisle and he gave Michael a nod. Michael snatched a pack of gum and we all walked up to the counter together. Michael paid the lady for the gum and the lady told us to have a good day.

We all piled back into Michael's car and Ashton pulled out a bottle of vodka he'd hidden under his shirt. Michael gave him a high five and started to speed off down the street again. I had just witnessed a robbery. A robbery! Ashton just stole alcohol from a store and I was there to watch. And it was fucking awesome!

Michael killed the engine in front of an abandoned building and they wasted no time stalking up the concrete stairs. I glanced around just to make sure no one saw us and followed them through the door. The floors inside were marble but full of dust and debris. Ashton shimmied through a small space and virtually disappeared.

"Coming Luke?" Ashton poked his head back out of the space and I nodded.

I climbed through the small space but tripped on something and flew towards the ground. As I was falling I landed on top of Ashton and he let out a little giggle. I stared down at him and he smiled up at me. I don't know why I didn't get up faster, maybe I liked the way our bodies felt against each other. Okay Luke enough.

"If you wanted to be on top of me all you had to do was ask." Ashton said with a wink and I pushed myself off of him like he was on fire. I dusted off my pants and leant Ashton a hand.

We walked up the stairs and Ashton pushed open the door to see an empty rooftop. The sun was bright and the sky was empty of all clouds. In Oregon, a day like this is very rare. I breathed in the sunshine and followed Ashton to the edge of the building. He and Michael took a seat on the ledge, dangling their feet over the edge. I shrugged and took a seat next to them, staring down at the sidewalk below.

"Want some?" Ashton asked offering me the bottle of vodka. I smiled and took the bottle from him, pressing my lips to the opening and taking a swig of the burning liquid. My face scrunched as the alcohol burned down my throat.

"So Luke tell us about yourself." Michael asked, taking the bottle from me and taking a long drink.

....

"My mom is literally gonna kill me." I slurred as Ashton helped me walk up my driveway.

"Well what time does she get home?" He asked and he sounded more sober than I did.

"She should be gone by now, she works at night. Like an owl. My mom is an owl! Hoot hoot!" I said and burst into giggles. I forgot how many shots I had taken but I felt amazing.

"Easy does it Luke." Ashton said with a small chuckle and began to help me up the stairs.

"I'm gonna throw up." I mumbled and took of towards the bathroom. The vodka was definitely more fun going down than coming up. I emptied the contents of my stomach into the toilet and fell back against the wall.

"Luke?" Ashton called from the doorway. My head was spinning and I was so drunk but Ashton looked like an angel under the dim lighting.

"I drank too much." I mumbled before throwing up again. Once I stopped puking my guts up and with Ashton's help, I made it to my bed.

I watched with slitted eyes as Ashton grabbed my trashcan and sat it next to my bed. Then he disappeared for a few minutes and came back with a glass of water and a bottle of aspirin, setting it on the bedside table. He pulled the blanket up to my chin and rested his hand on my shoulder. I smiled sleepily up at the hazel eyed boy.

"Luke I'm gonna go bud, if you need me just call." Ashton said and turned to head for the window. But I grabbed his wrist and he sucked in a harsh breath.

"Stay." I begged and Ashton nodded. He kicked off his shoes and climbed in the bed beside me. I smiled into sleep and I felt comfortable with Ashton next to me.

Ashton's POV

I should've never let Luke drink like that but he seemed pretty upset. He kept muttering things about how he wasn't good enough and then he'd take another drink. Every time the poison would make its way through his blood he would throw his head back and laugh evilly. I only had a few shots so I could keep an eye on Luke.

It worried me to see someone who seems so put together fall apart like that. I helped him into his house and to his bed, after he stopping puking. I made sure the door was locked so if his mum did come home he wouldn't be in deep trouble. For the second time it would be my fault and Luke didn't deserve that.

As I was turning to leave Luke's hand caught my wounded wrist and I tried not to scream out in pain.

"Stay." His blue eyes pleaded and I nodded at the younger boy.

I took off my shoes and climbed under the covers next to Luke. He was already passed out and I promised myself I was only going to stay for a little bit. I stared at the ceiling until I felt safe enough to close my eyes just to reopen them. They wandered around the room to the numerous posters and pictures on the walls. Once I took in my surroundings I snuck a peek at Luke.

He was sprawled out across his bed with his face squished against the pillow. Soft snores escaped his parted lips as he breathed. His face was soft and his eyelashes rested perfectly on his cheeks. When he slept he looked so peaceful and like a child.

I smiled at him and pulled myself from the bed. I put my shoes back on and silently opened the window. I crept down slowly until my feet hit the ground and hurried to Michael's back yard. I lay in bed for a few more hours just thinking about everything until I finally fell asleep. In a world less screwed up than this maybe I could actually be what Luke deserved but for now all I could do was try.

>>>>
Hopefully I'll have a short chapter tomorrow before I start on a longer and more important chapter :)