48

Luke's POV

The blinding light abruptly entered my bedroom making me groan out in pain. I knew I'd have a killer hangover this morning so I made sure to close all the blinds but someone had other plans for me. I cracked open one of my eyes to see Calum standing at my window with his arms over his chest. His brown eyes narrowed at me and I knew I was about to get an earful. I pulled my covers over my head only to have them yanked back away from my face.

"What the hell?" I snapped with my voice cracking due to my dry throat.

"Get up." Calum growled and I rolled my eyes before shutting them. Something hard hit my back and I sat up straight in the bed, glaring at my best friend.

"What do you want?" I bit and saw the hard object that hit me was a Gatorade. I picked up the bottle to look it over then gave Calum a questioning look.

"Drink it then we are going for a run." He said sternly and I twisted the cap on the bottle to take a long gulp of the syrup like energy drink.

"A run?" I questioned after I swallowed my mouthful and Calum nodded.

"Yes, get changed." He ordered but I didn't move at first. Why should I get out of bed and go for a run with Calum? What's that gonna do? Clear my mind? Ha, I doubt it.

"Ugh fine." I grumbled and climbed out of bed walking slowly to my closet. I pulled out a pair of shorts that I'm positive were Ashton's and tugged them up my legs before tossing a shirt over my head. Calum nodded approvingly as I tied up my sneakers and followed him down the stairs.

We both paused at the end of the driveway and I was looking the other way while Calum took off down the sidewalk. I sighed in defeat and took off behind him until we were both running at the same pace. I'd be lying if I said the run didn't help after all but my mind was still ablaze with thoughts. Sweat was gathering on my forehead, my heart was pounding in my ears and I was breathing heavily by the time Calum came to a stop next to me.

The path of our run had led us to the reservoir. I should've known Calum had an ulterior motive for dragging me out on this run but there is no escaping it now. I clasped my fingers behind my head still attempting to calm my breathing and Calum finally turned around to face me with a different emotion in his eyes then there was earlier.

"Okay, why'd you bring me here?" I asked and watched Calum take a deep breath before speaking.

"It's only been a month since Ashton's been gone and you are already falling apart." He accused and I rolled my eyes.

"Oh come on Cal." I scoffed and turned to walk off but Calum's hand caught my arm making me turn back around to him.

"It's true Luke!" Calum's voice raised slightly and he took a breath before speaking softer this time. "You drink yourself to sleep most nights, you barely do your homework and all you do is mope around." Calum explained the truth but I was in denial.

"I do not Cal, everything is fine." I lied and Calum crossed his arms over his chest.

"This, is not fine Luke." He said gesturing to me. I shook my head and looked at the ground letting out a small empty chuckle.

"How am I supposed to be fine?" I asked a little more harsh than I intended. Calum ran a hand through his hair before turning back to me with pleading eyes.

"By talking to me Luke." He said simply and I don't know why a wave of anger washed over my but I clenched my fist to keep it from spilling over.

"I don't understand how he's so fucking fine! I didn't think I'd miss him like this but it's killing me!" I halfway shouted.