17

Luke's POV

Some days I'm more anxious than others and today is one of those days. From the second my eyes fluttered open I've had a feeling of anxiety in my chest. It is Monday after all, maybe because I have a few assignments due and a test over The Great Gatsby today. Or maybe because I actually have a boyfriend at my school and there is a possibility we will have attention drawn to us. I've been shaking since I got out of bed and fighting an anxiety attack all morning. I took a deep breath in hopes it would calm me but it didn't. For now I guess I'd just have to deal with it.

My trembling legs pushed me down the stairs and into the kitchen. I haven't spoken to my mom since last night and I intended to keep it that way until she apologized about Ashton. I ignored her presence, grabbed a banana, and hurried out to meet Ashton. He offered to drive me to school in the mornings since it was nearly impossible to get a ride from my brother anymore.

I hurried across the grass and over to Ashton's truck that he was leaning against. He was clad in his usual black attire complete with a bandana and black raybans on his face. He was holding a book in front of him but once I got closer he smiled a dimpled smile and tossed the book through the open window of his truck.

"Morning babe." His voice chirped and I smiled at the pet name.

"Morning." I grumbled and climbed in the passenger seat.

"Uh oh someone is grumpy this morning." He said trying to lighten the mood but what happened with my mom last night was weighing really heavy on my mind.

"What were you reading?" I changed the subject and Ashton glanced at me from the drivers seat. He seemed to take the hint I didn't want to talk about my mom drama.

"Some book for English class, I completely spaced that I had to read a chapter last night. I guess I was a little distracted." He smirked at me and I rolled my eyes in an attempt not to smile at him.

"Well Mr. Irwin lets not make a habit of it." I mocked our math teacher from the first day of school. Ashton burst into giggles and I continued to stare out the window. My mind just couldn't be tamed right now.

We pulled into the parking lot and I was dreading going to class already. It's never been like this for me, I've always loved school. I contemplated asking Ashton if we could just skip but I couldn't afford to get behind. We both hopped out of the car and met in front of it. I glanced over to Ashton who was smiling like an idiot but I couldn't force myself to shake this feeling. We walked side by side across the courtyard to the building but my anxiety grew with every step. A hand grabbed my forearm stopping me from grabbing the door. I turned to Ashton with a confused look.

"Hey," he rested his hand on my shoulder. "Whatever is bothering you, you know you can tell me right?" I assured but I couldn't look at him right now, the anxiety was growing.

"Yeah I know." I nodded and opened the door with Ashton following close behind.

We walked through the hallway until we came to Ashton's classroom. We stood in the doorway and Ashton offered me a smile and I did my best to return one then he disappeared into the classroom. I sighed and decided to find Calum, which I did, at his locker.

"Luke, you okay?" Calum stopped me before we made it into the classroom and I just shook my head. I was somewhere between throwing up or crying and I wanted to do neither while I was in school.

"Come on." Cal grabbed my arm and pulled me down the hallway.

"Calum where are we going we have to go to class." I was beginning to panic. We burst through the door and took off across the courtyard.