50

Ashton's POV

2 years later

I finally folded my final shirt and shoved the pile into my suitcase. I really hated to pack but I been putting off for a week and my plane leaves late tonight. Luke graduates tomorrow night and a promise is a promise. With a sigh I shoved my pants into the opposite side of my suitcase and attempted to zip it shut. It was more trouble than it was the first time I packed it full and I was forced to sit on it to drag the zipper around.

Next was my laptop and notebooks that I had to pack into my backpack. As I went to turn off the device, I noticed an alert from my YouTube pop up on the screen. I smiled and took a seat in front of my computer to click on the videos link. It was a new cover from Luke, Calum and Michael. I must admit I've been a little bit of a fangirl and I've been watching every single one of their covers, learning the songs just in case they let me back in the band. This song was new however.

The minute Luke started strumming his guitar, my interest peaked. Luke looked so different now than he did before I left. His lip was pierced, his hair was longer and it was hard to ignore the stubble that outlined his jaw. He wasn't the same 16 year old boy I fell in love with, he was almost 18 now and I was still in love with him. His eyes were the same piercing blue when they connected with the camera and he began to sing. The smoothness of his voice was still the same and my heart ached at the lyrics of this song.

For a while we pretended

That we never had to end it

But we knew we'd have to say goodbye

You were crying at the airport

When they finally closed the plane door

I could barely hold it all inside

It was us, it was undeniably us. I took in a deep breath and let my palms run nervously over my thighs as I watched them play on. Every word, every way Luke sang those words was everything I've been feeling for the past two years. So many nights I wanted to give in and call Luke and tell him I still loved him and I still cared but I was a coward. It's been at least three months since I've heard from Luke but Michael says he's been doing fine. Calum told me he's been out on a few dates which hurt at first but how could I expect him to wait around for me to come back.

I've been, okay for these past two years. Just awfully okay. I'm not good, not wonderful but just purely okay. I'm happy I got my life together over here and grew as a person but I was nervous to go back into the life I had left behind. Luke is different now, I'm different and everything else is just different now. Everything has changed.

I let myself listen in awe at how perfect this song was to our relationship. I felt hot tears forming in my eyes but I refused to let them fall no matter now much this hurt me. Once they finished Luke paused for a moment to stare into the camera and I felt myself getting hot under his gaze. Those eyes that I fell so deep in love with were staring at me for the first time in so long and I couldn't help my finger that attempted to stroke Luke's face through the computer screen.

"Tomorrow, I'll be back for you tomorrow." I whispered to Luke and shut down my computer. I paused to gather myself before shoving the remaining things into my backpack.

Just like déjà vu I was going through the same motions of saying goodbye that I did when I came here. Looking over my room, saying goodbye to familiarity only this time I was going to see Luke.

Maybe he doesn't want to see you.

With the negative creeping into my mind I screwed my eyes shut and tried to breathe through the pain in my chest. Luke could've moved on but I still am keeping my promise. With a final sigh I grabbed up my bags and headed through the apartment to find Jade. I parked my luggage in the living area to go into the kitchen in search of my sister. She was making tea like she usually was so I took a seat at the table.