40

Luke's POV

"Luke get up." I heard someone's voice call out to me and a hand shook me slightly.

"What?" I mumbled with my eyes still closed.

"You have to take your drivers test today."my mom cooed and I opened my eyes quickly. I had completely forgotten about my test today.

"I'll be up in ten." I groaned and my mom laughed.

"You sound like your dad." She said and I turned my head to look at her and she was smiling.

"Really?" I asked. I don't know why I did, I guess I remember things about him but I've tried to forget.

"When we first got married, I'd have to wake him up and he'd always roll over and say he'd be up in ten but I'd always have to wake him again." She chuckled and I myself found myself smiling at the memory.

"He was sure something." I said now looking at my picture of us together.

"That he was. Hey where's the necklace he gave you?" She asked noticing it wasn't at its usual spot

"I- I uh gave it to Ashton." I stammered and looked down to the carpet then up to my teary eyed mom.

"That's so incredible Luke." she gushed and wrapped me into a hug.

"Thanks mom." I said softly and she gave me a tight squeeze.

"Your dad would've loved Ashton." She admitted and I felt a little shocked that she admitted that to me.

"I know." I whispered and my mom left my room.

As I said I was ready in ten minutes and nervous as ever. I climbed into the car with my mom and she hurried off to the motor vehicle department to get my license. The lady that rode with me while I took my test was extremely jumpy and I'm not even that bad of a driver. Even despite the fact she cringed the entire time, she gave me my drivers license. A couple questions and an awful picture later I was hopping in the front seat of my moms car to drive us home.

My mom acted exactly like the woman who gave me my test but I was focusing on getting home to show Ashton. Every time my hand moved to turn up the radio my mom would slap it away and tell me to focus on the road. We made it home alive but when I went to pull into the driveway there was a black sports car with a huge red bow. I looked over to my mom with my mouth hanging open but she just smirked at me. I parked behind the shiny car and wasted no time bolting out of the door. As I walked up to look at the car, Ben walked out of the front door.

"Surprise!" He yelled. His face and head were healing but his arm was still in a cast. I walked over to him and he pulled me into a side hug with the his arm resting around my shoulder.

"Well what do you think Lukey?" He smiled and gestured towards the car.

"It's sick, did you just get it?" I asked with my eyes trailing across the black paint then back to my smiling brother.

"No but you did." He smirked dangling the keys in front of me. I looked to my mom who nodded at me to accept the keys so I did and ran over to pull her into a hug.

"Thank you mom." I mumbled into her shoulder and kissed her cheek.

"Of course Luke, I'm glad you like it." She smiled at me and I enthusiastically shook my head.

"Call Ashton and take this baby for a spin." Ben said while he pulled off the ridiculous bow. I dug my phone from my pocket and sent Ashton a text instead and a few seconds later I heard his front door shut. I smiled his direction and met him in the middle of the grass with an excited hug.