23

Ashton's POV

I was extremely angry walking into school on Monday morning. I was angry for Friday nights events but mostly I was angry at Harley and Derick. I ran late to school this morning per usual and I was in a hustle across the courtyard hoping to make it to my first hour before the tardy bell rang. Michael was writing something down in his notebook when I made it to my seat with an irritated sigh.

"Mondays aren't your thing huh Ashy?" He teased with a small laugh at his own words.

"Shut up." I grumbled and took out my own materials to get going on work.

I counted down the minutes in first period until second because I couldn't wait to see Luke. We didn't get to hang out yesterday and I already missed him. Was I really that dependent on him? Hell yes I am! He's what's happy and comfortable to me. When the bell rang at the end of class I practically sprinted down the hallway to Luke's classroom. I leaned against the wall as person after person filed out of the room and as usual Luke was the last one out. He paused and waited for me to walk beside him and I laced our fingers together.

"Morning Ash." He said with a small smile.

"Morning Luke." I smiled back and we walked slowly to geometry. We were one of the first students in the room but didn't make it past the teachers desk before he called out to us.

"Ah Luke and Ashton just who I needed to speak with." Mr. Green said, waving us over to his desk. Luke and I exchanged a quick glance of question before we stood in front of our teacher.

"What's wrong Mr. Green?" Luke questioned. I glanced over to him to see his worried face. His busted lip was between his teeth and his eyebrows were pulled together. The bruise on his cheek was getting darker every day and it was hard for me to look at it and not feel angry.

"Nothing is wrong! I was going to tell you and Ashton that his grade has improved dramatically so your tutoring must be going well." Our teacher praised and I swear we both exhaled like we had been holding our breath for days.

"Really?" I asked, shocked.

"Yes Mr. Irwin, you have a very steady B as of right now." Mr. Green said and I felt my head spinning. I didn't think that was ever possible for me.

"Good Job Ashton." Luke said, playfully hitting my shoulder. I have no idea what came over me but I wrapped Luke in a tight hug.

"Thank you." I mumbled into his shoulder. Our teacher gave us one last smile and we took our seats for class to begin.

Maybe Karen was right and things could turn around.

...

I floated through the rest of the day with my mind completely in the clouds. I've been feeling this feeling in the pit of my chest since Friday night. When we were on our way back from Calum's football match and Luke and I were the only two awake in the car. We played twenty questions and the questions were completely random but also informative. When we got completely off subject and I made Luke laugh, something within me ignited like a firework.

Is this love? Infatuation? Am I even capable of even showing love towards someone let alone feeling the damn thing. All I know is when I'm around Luke, whether he is laughing or crying I feel something. The good kind of something too not that fake shit.

I was snapped back into the present when I nearly ran into a tiny blonde freshman. I rolled my eyes at him and continued on to music class. It's still my favorite class even though it's been getting a little boring. We've been going through history of jazz which can be really boring but it's still music which I love. Our teacher keeps promising things are going to get better after Thanksgiving break, which is next week already.