Chapter 3 - Ryan

As I glanced over at Goldy, I noticed that her face had paled and her golden eyes widened. I followed her gaze and suddenly realized what was wrong. Tina was glaring at her, and I could tell that Goldy was scared. I edged closer to her and let my fingers brush hers. Startled, she spun around to face me. Goldy realized what I was doing and smiled gratefully. Seeming to be filled with new confidence, she turned to the rest of the daycare. 

         "Hi everybody!" Goldy finally called. "Hi Dave, hi Danny, hi Derp, hi Tony, hi UnicornMann, hi Sal, hi Angel, hi Cookie, hi Lizzy, hi Kat, hi Sabre, hi Pup, hi Cassi, and hi Tina!" I grinned to myself. Seemed like Goldy was getting her confidence back. My smile quickly fell off of my face as I felt the tension zapping around the room like lightning. I tried for a smile. 

          "Hey guys! Long time no see!" I said, trying to break the silence. "Yeah!" UnicornMann exclaimed. Tina whipped around and fixed him with a glare. "Um, yeah guys, uh, Lizzy and I are, um, going to go to my... room!" Unicorn said awkwardly. He then grabbed Lizzy by the hand and pulled her out of the room and upstairs. Then Unicorn poked his head back out. "Hey, Goldy, um... want to come?" He asked tentatively. Goldy grinned at him, sending sparkles into her eyes. "Sure, bud!" Then the two ran back up to meet Lizzy at Unicorn's room. Tina made eye contact with me, and snapped. The rest of the kids ran downstairs to do... whatever. I wasn't sure. 

        Tina smiled at me, and I felt worry race through me. "Long time no see, um, Tina!" I said. Suddenly, Goldy appeared behind Tina on the stairs, eyes wide. "I know, Cutie!" Tina squealed. I glanced over her shoulder at Goldy, and saw an almost disappointed look in her eyes. Did this mean she... like liked me? Hopefully, but I wasn't sure. "Um, you don't have to call me Cutie, Tina. Ryan will do," I said. Tina pouted. "But, Cutie -" "Ryan." I interrupted. She frowned. But behind her, Goldy had a smile on her face. That made me want to smile, but I couldn't. "FINE. RYAN. This doesn't have to do with you having a girlfriend, does it?" Tina asked. I glanced at Goldy, who was looking interested and sent me a questioning grin. I hesitated. "DOES it?" Tina yelled. "Um." I said cleverly, looking between Goldy and Tina. This is an awkward situation. "Not that I know of." I finally answered. Tina still looked slightly suspicious, but seemed satisfied for now. Thankfully, Goldy didn't seem annoyed. With my eyes, I sent her a look. "Go back to Unicorn's room." She seemed to understand, and quickly left with a nod. I turned to Tina. "Let's go get the others. We can play a game in the daycare, since we haven't been here for so long! I'll get Goldy, Unicorn, and Lizzy, you get the others. Meet up back here!" I ad-libbed. Then I turned and ran up the stairs.