Chapter 35 - Ryan

Sabre allowed us to put a blindfold around what we thought were his eyes. I didn't know if he was telling the truth, but I assumed so because Cookie accidentally poked him in the eye when we were putting on the blindfold. "No going into UnicornMann's basement!" Cookie warned quietly. Tina flashed her a thumbs up. "One... Two..." The boy started counting immediately after the blindfold was on. Goldy winked at me, and ran off upstairs. I was tempted to follow, but I decided it would be safer to hide on my own. So instead, I ran downstairs. I went into the offices, and hid beneath a desk. Suddenly, I heard footsteps outside. But Sabre was still counting. He was at 29, so whoever it was had better hide quickly. The person came into the office I was hiding in. "Here I come!" I heard Sabre call. I peeked out from underneath the desk. Sabre's footsteps sounded coming down the stairs. I sighed. "Come under here!" I hissed at the person. They were going to get us both caught if hey stayed out there. A head of brown hair poked down to see me. Their green eyes widened. Sabre started coming this way. Tina quickly scooter under the desk with me.

I was not going to lie, my heart was racing. And not just from the exhilaration of hide and seek. Tina was as far away from me as possible, but there wasn't much room under the desk. Sabre entered the office, holding his sloth so we could see him. I held my breath. "Hmmm..." I heard him say. Then, the boy turned and exited. I let out a long sigh. "Um, hi," I whispered to Tina. "Hey," the girl said awkwardly. There was a triumphant cry from an office near ours. I heard Goldy sigh. "How did you find me?" The girl asked. "You were standing in a fireplace. There aren't any fireplaces in any of the other offices." Sabre replied. I frowned. Goldy's powers were very strong, so she must not have wanted to make the game too unfair. Also, I had thought Goldy had gone upstairs. She must have doubled back to confuse Sabre. "You finish up down here. I'll go upstairs," Sabre instructed. "Okay!" Goldy replied cheerfully.

Sabre ran past our office and headed upstairs. A couple minutes later, Sabre yelled: "I found Cookie!" "Nice job!" Goldy shouted back. Her voice was very close. The girl stepped into our office. Tina's foot was close to the edge of the desk, so I reached out and pulled her closer to me. It was terrible timing. As I pulled Tina closer, Goldy leaned down and saw us under the desk. Once again, I was aware of how close I was to Tina. We were almost touching. I saw Goldy's eyes widen. "What... are you doing?" The girl asked. She sounded so sad, I wanted to hug her. "I - it - it's not what it looks like!" I stammered. Goldy gave me a long look, filled with immense sadness. "But it looks like it is," She said quietly. Goldy abruptly turned and walked out of the room. "Found them!" She said. "Cool!" Sabre exclaimed. But one second later, I heard his voice again, filled with concern. "What... happened?" The boy asked. "Don't worry about it," Goldy replied. I heard a door open, and then shut. "And that... was another day at daycare..." I heard faintly from outside. Tina scooted out from under the desk and looked at me. "What have we gotten into?"