Chapter 48 - Ryan

I heard yells from the portal area, and turned to see Goldy, Tina, Cassi, Angel, and Cookie run out. "Wha- you were supposed to be having a girl chat!" I glared at them. Ash, who was sitting next to me, laughed. "You can't blame them for leaving you behind. They probably wanted a girls game!" She said. Goldy grinned at her. "You can come next time!" She laughed. Ash's eyes sparkled as she returned the smile. I couldn't help but think that Ash looked really pretty when she smiled.

          "Well, where did you go?" I asked, meeting Goldy's eyes. The oddest thing happened though. As soon as we made contact, the girl's golden eyes turned frosty, and her smile faded. Tina answered for her. "We went to play hide and seek," Her voice was light enough, but there was a strange undercurrent... of annoyance, which was ridiculous. I threw up my hands. "Well did you have fun without me?" I inquired. "Lots." Goldy answered this time, with an equally confusing tone. It sounded happy to anyone else, but there was a harshness to her voice, if you listened closely. "What did I-" I began to ask. "How did you like the daycare, Ash?" Goldy interrupted. Ash smiled again, seeming oblivious to the tension. "It was SO COOL! I didn't know you guys had a theater! This daycare is AWESOME!" Goldy's smile returned. "I know!!! Did Sabre show you to your new room?"

      "Yeah!!! I can't wait to decorate it!"

       "Why wait?"

        "Really?!?!" Ash's voice got higher, rising with the excitement.

         "Yeah!" I put in. ""The two of us can-" I started, hoping that Ash and I could get more alone time.

          "Oh no ya don't," Goldy had the strange tone again. "I want to hang out with the new girl! You can't steal her from all of us!" She laughed.

         Ash smiled. "Yeah, I want to spend some time with Goldy here. Acquaint myself with the force of boss-ness and... stuff... in this daycare.

        "You already have!" I protested. "Me!"

        Ash laughed. "You wish. See ya, Ryan!" She and Goldy high-fived, then ran up the stairs, talking excitedly.

        I looked around. Everyone was looking at me, with anger or disappointment. "What?" I demanded. Nobody said a thing. "Guys!" I pleaded. "Ryan, you've screwed up," Angel said, then exited the room with Derp. "What are you talking about?" Cookie glared at me, her fists clenched at her sides and pink eyes filled with fury and a deep sadness. "Quit screwing around, Ryan! You know exactly what you're doing." Then she stormed off, and Sabre followed with a sad look beneath his apologetic glance.

        I looked at the remaining kids. None would meet my gaze except for Tina, whose green eyes burned with a furious fire. "Fine. If you guys are going to be like this, I'm leaving to go talk to Ash." I started up the stairs. I stopped, though, when a hand grabbed my shoulder. I turned to see Tina glaring at me defiantly, the fire still blazing angrily in her eyes. "Oh no. No you're not. We need to have a chat."