Chapter 9 - Ryan

I took off down the stairs after Goldy, passing Tina and the others. I glanced both ways, and saw the ends of Goldy's hair disappearing down the next flight of stairs. I ran after her. Finally at the bottom, I had no idea where she'd gone. I would've heard if she jumped into Unicorn's basement, so she was either down near the bathrooms, or the other way toward the offices. I ran toward the offices, and behind me, I heard someone run the opposite way. I looked over my shoulder, and saw that it was Tony, not Goldy.

I poked my head into the first office, and checked around. No one was there. Then I checked the next one. Crouched beneath a desk was Goldy. "I see you, Goldy!" I whispered. I stood in the doorway, and crouched so that she couldn't get under me. "Where are ya gonna go?" I asked. Goldy blushed, and she thought for a moment. "Past you," She answered. Goldy swiftly grabbed a meter stick that was lying against the desk, and ran at me. I was so confused, I practically stood there as she used the meter stick to vault over me, and it seemed to be in slow motion. Then everything went back to full speed, and I sprang after the girl. She dropped the meter stick in my path, and I had to stop and move to avoid tripping. For a small girl, she's fast! I thought. Goldy stopped a couple feet away from the stairs, and then I realized why. Tina and Angel were advancing down the stairs, and Tony was coming from the other side. I could see the indecision in Goldy's eyes as she weighed which way to go. I never really noticed how intelligent she was until the daycare closed.

I shook off the thoughts and started to move forward. Goldy ran straight at me and slid against the wall and grabbed the meter stick again. Then, she jumped over me, and headed straight for the stairs. Tina, noticing what Goldy did to me, drew herself up to her full height. Goldy feinted a jump, and Tina and Angel both jumped to stop her. Then, Goldy simply ducked under both of them and took off somewhere. Someday, I would have to make Goldy teach me those moves! I sighed, then ran up the stairs and thought, where would Goldy go? She would be unpredictable. We'd think Goldy would want to get as far away as possible. So she's probably somewhere close. On the second floor. We all went upstairs. Tina and Tony went left to the Gallery, Derp came downstairs, and he and Angel went back up, and I went to the right. The first place I thought to check was the portal room. I peeked around. Going into the portal was not allowed, but you could be in the room. Long story short, she wasn't there. I checked the control room, and Goldy wasn't there either. I regrouped in the main room. Everyone but Goldy had been caught. The answer hit me. Goldy had doubled back downstairs as we left. "Goldy, you won!" We called. Just to confirm, Goldy ran up the stairs with a grin. She looked at me. "How'd I do, Señor?" She teased. "And what should we do next?"