Chapter 39 - Ryan

"What do you mean, you know him? How could you tell?" I demanded. "Well, I -" "I mean we only saw a flash!" I interrupted. "Okay, so -" Goldy tried again. "Are you sure you know who it is?" I asked. Tina wheeled on me. "Maybe if you stopped interrupting her, we may find out!" She exclaimed, green eyes blazing. I flushed, sheepish. Goldy sent Tina a wobbly smile that contrasted with her stark white face. "Okay. So... that... I don't actually know his name... but he attacked my house a long time ago. And... he nearly killed us all." I barely restrained a gasp of horror. Goldy released a shaky breath. "But you live in a tree," I pointed out. "Who would come to the middle of the forest and try to kill you?" Goldy glared at me. "Why do you THINK we live in a tree now?" She demanded. "Ohhhh..." I realized what the girl meant. "My Mom was in the hospital for nearly a year now, while they tried to remove the bullet from her. NOW do you understand why - why I run when things are being shot?" Goldy's voice wavered. I didn't know what to say. "She told me to RUN, Ryan!" Goldy sobbed. "Maybe if I'd stayed... things might not have turned out the way they did. Maybe..." The girl broke down with a sob and collapsed on the ground. I reached out and wrapped her in a hug. She pulled back and pushed me away. "Ryan... he nearly killed my mom, and if the police... Ryan if the police hadn't shown up SHE'D BE DEAD! Ryan... she'd be dead..." Goldy closed her eyes, body racking with sobs.

     I honestly had no idea what to do. "You're safe now," I murmured to her. "And so is she." Goldy sat bolt upright with a sharp gasp. "But what if she's not? If he suddenly shows up here, what if he goes after her next? What if... what if she dies? Or my dad?" The girl asked. I stood up. "But we don't know that. We don't know that he's going to attack. Most likely, he's not going to after the failure here. We don't know, Goldy. We can't assume anything. But Goldy... it'll be alright. No matter what, I promise that it will be alright. I am here, and I am with you." I offered the girl my hand. Goldy smiled weakly and accepted it. "Maybe you're right," Goldy declared. She stepped back and stood on her own. "You're probably right. You have to be," The girl said. I smiled and reached over to hug her. That was when there was a flash of orange, and Goldy staggered backwards with a cry as it slammed into her.