Chapter 8 - Goldy

As we ran down the stairs, Ryan whispered "Goldy, are you following me?" He asked. "Well, duh! You never let go of my hand!" I answered quietly. I passed him and I started pulling him to go faster. We rounded a corner and ran up to the bathrooms. I halted, and Ryan sped past me, and almost slammed into a wall, but I stopped him next to me. "This is perfect!" I exclaimed. "There are three ways to escape!" "Only three?" Ryan asked. "Well, I can't go in the boys bathroom, and you can't go into the girls." I explained. Then, playful shrieks of terror sounded from upstairs. Then I heard feet pounding down the stairs. And another set of feet coming down behind them. "Get over here, Tony!" I heard Angel call. "Go, go, go!" I hissed, shoving Ryan down the hall. We dashed down and stopped at the end. "They're coming our way!" Ryan warned me. We continued down the hall, and looped around the daycare, running back up the stairs.

     "Derp!" I cautioned Ryan, seeing the kid at the top of the stairs. Ryan was looking the other way, at the bottom of them. "Angel and Tony," He said gravely. Without thinking twice, I ran at Derp. He reached out to tag me, and when he did, I ducked under his arm and slid past him. Sometimes, being small has its advantages! I motioned at Ryan to come on, and then turned and raced up the stairs. At the top of the stairs, I glanced over my shoulder, but none of them followed me. "Help!" Ryan called. I sighed, but started back down the stairs. Before I got to the bottom though, a voice came. "I'll save you!" It was the high voice of Tina. I rolled my eyes. 5... 4... 3... 2... 1... "MmmmmmmmmMMMMMMM" I heard. UnicornMann burst out of the room at the end of the hall, saw me, and mouthed: "My tea is ready!" He winked, and ducked back inside.

       Then, 5 people started walking up the stairs. Ryan, Derp, Angel, Tina, and Tony. I ducked out of sight, but I knew Ryan and Tina had seen me, maybe Tony too. I ran down toward my room, then hesitated. That would be too obvious. Where would the last place I'd be? The answer struck me like lightning. Tina's room. I opened the door quietly, and crept in. Then, I closed the door behind me to cover my tracks. I stood out of sight behind the doors. Tony, Tina, and Ryan walked past the door, and I heard people - probably Angel and Derp - set off in the other direction. I felt a twinge of annoyance that Ryan was in the same group as Tina, but I also had a bit of satisfaction that they didn't bother to check Tina's room. "She's probably in her room. She's dumb like that." I heard Tina's voice echo down the halls. I felt myself frown. Ryan? Are you going to... I thought. "She's not dumb." Ryan snapped. I risked a peek out the window. He had his hands on his hips and he was frowning. "Stop being mean to her. I know that you're annoyed that I don't want you to call me 'Cutie', and you two have never really gotten along, but she's tried to make it up with you. She doesn't want to be enemies with you, so please stop treating her like one." Ryan lectured. I felt myself smile. It was probably safe, so I opened the door. But at the worst time, Tony turned around. "There she is!" He exclaimed. Ryan whirled. Tina took off at me. I ran. "Get over here, Goldy!" Ryan sing-songed. But I was already off.