Chapter One

Dakota Star's POV

Waking up was a chore. Sometimes I wished I didn't have to wake up and go to Hell, I mean school. The kids there are mean, the teachers are lazy, and you only mattered if you knew how to play football, basketball, or you're on the swim team.

I slowly got out of my bed and went into the bathroom across the hall. I used the toilet and then went to the mirror.

My hair was a mess as I tried running my brush through the knots. Eventually I got my hair decently brushed and began sectioning my hair so I could straighten the mess.

My newly straightened hair fell along my face as I came to an end with styling. I walked back into my bedroom and I heard my older brother Jarred wake up and walk into the bathroom.

I'm a junior in high school and my brother is a senior. We are polar opposites. He plays football and doesn't focus in school. I don't play sports and I care about school more than I care for myself. My hair is boring brown and his is a nice dirty blonde. He was nicely built and I wasn't.

I searched through my closet trying to find something decent to wear. Most of my clothes were dark just because I felt it hid my body better. I wasn't proud of my shape or size. Every morning I stared into my mirror and just thought of how ugly I was compared to others.

"D," Jarred said as he knocked on my door then opened it.

He wore dark blue skinny jeans and white socks. He held two shirts in his hands and his hair was sticking up in different directions.

"Should I wear this shirt with my varsity or the adidas hoodie?" Jarred asked as his face held a concerned expression.

This was a morning ritual. Jarred had no clue what to wear, he'd ask me, then carry on

"Adidas, you've already wore the varsity this week," I said as I grabbed a pair of skinny jeans and a large hoodie.

"Alright," he replied and walked back out.

I changed into my clothes and then began my makeup. I started with foundation, eyeshadow, eyeliner, mascara, then lip balm. I tried hiding as many imperfections as possible.

Sooner than I would like we were pulling into the schools parking lot and my palms began to sweat. Something about being here raised my anxiety. Even though people didn't stare at me, I felt they were. I knew people couldn't care less about what I wore or what I looked like, but I convinced myself people were disgusted by me. The extra weight took over my mind and made me self conscious. Everyone knew I wasn't confident, but no one knew how bad it really bugged me.

I walked to my locker, which sadly for me, was on the second floor. One thing I hated about my locker was that it was right across from the jocks lockers. They always stayed huddled up. You almost never saw a jock alone.

Jocks thought they ruled the school and they did. People worshiped them just because they had muscles. As much as I hate to admit it, Jarred was a jock. He fit in perfectly with them. While we were at school Jarred didn't talk to me unless he had to, but most of the time he'd just send me a text and go about his way. Sure people knew we were siblings, but most people didn't really put two and two together. They didn't realize we shared DNA or lived in the same house.

"Good morning Dakota," a higher pitched voice said once I got my locker open.

I kept my friend group small. I didn't like people leaving, so if you don't have many friends you won't have as many heart breaks.

"Morning Lola," I smiled and put my bag into my locker.

"How's your day been?" She asked.

"Meh can't complain yet," I retorted.