Chapter Eighteen

The heat radiating off of Ethan was the best blanket I've ever had. Ever since we talked about everything earlier, things felt better. I felt no tension between us, no embarrassment, nothing except happiness.

"Where's Jarred?" I asked realizing he hasn't returned since that party yesterday.

"With Gray at my house. They have to clean up before our parents get home," Ethan chuckled while shaking his head.

Typical boys

As I sat there in Ethan's arms, watching one of my favourite zombie movies my stomach growled. It had been a while since we devoured our breakfast, and I really felt the need to go out and show off Ethan.

"Want to go out and get something to eat?" I asked out of the blue catching his attention.

"What do you have in mind?"

"I don't know, something good."

"How about we go out of town. Right on the edge so we don't get bombarded with people we know?"

He's still embarrassed

"Why can't we just go to the nice Mexican restaurant? It's like a ten minute drive."

The one time I felt comfortable. The one time I felt happy, he had to ruin it again. I felt as if he wanted me the same way I wanted him. I thought Ethan had feelings for me.

"I just ate there yesterday, plus there's this place it's an old diner. The team and me went there last weekend after school. It's amazing D," Ethan gushed trying to sound excited.

Maybe I believed he really wanted to go to this diner, or maybe I just wanted to be happy a little longer, but I believed him.

"Let me go change real quick."

When I got to my room and looked in the mirror I didn't recognize myself. I was glowing from happiness. My cheeks held a pink tinge to them and my smile wouldn't leave my lips.

Quickly I curled my hair and added some makeup. I threw on some light blue skinny jeans, a white and black striped shirt, and a jacket. My mom bought me this outfit a while ago, but I never wore it because it didn't hide me the way I wanted it to. Now that I have Ethan, why hide?

"You ready?" Ethan asked once I got down stairs. It looked like he had showered and changed into some clothes he left here before.

"You look nice," I smiled as I slid into some heels.

"Thanks. You look amazing yourself," he replied smiling as big as me.

We walked out to his truck and drove off towards the edge of town. The radio sang breaking the silence we had between us. It wasn't awkward, it was comfortable.

"I love this song," Ethan exclaimed excitedly and turned up the volume.

Chocolate by 1975 roared through the speakers. The smile on my lips grew even bigger.

Ethan sang horribly off pitch with the singer as I followed his lead. He would mess up the words and then laugh saying it was my fault for being such a terrible singer.

"I'll have you know I'm an amazing singer thank you," I joked trying to act proper.

"Hmmm could have fooled me," he laughed as he pulled into a parking lot.

"Excuse me," I gasped trying to act offended.

I love this side of me. I've never felt so comfortable with someone. I knew Ethan wasn't judging me and he wasn't going to call me out on my flaws. His smile was just as big as mine and his laugh was the most beautiful thing I've ever heard.

"Let's go," Ethan smiled and jumped out of his truck.

There were cars scattered about the lot as we made our way inside. The air smelt of burgers and steak. Kids sat in booths with their parents and grandparents with large shakes in front of them.

"How many?" Asked an older women as she greeted us kindly.

"Just two thanks," Ethan responded and had his hand hovering over my mid back.

"Would you two like a booth or a table?"

"Booth please," I answered and followed the woman's lead.

"What can I get for you two?"

"I'll have a water," I nervously said.

What if Ethan realizes I'm just a fat girl while we're here. He's gonna see my true colors just by seeing me eat.

I looked up seeing Ethan's face contorted in confusion. His mouth hung slightly open as his brows were knitted together.

"Forget the water she wants a Coke and I'll take a lemonade please," Ethan's voice was so confident that the lady didn't even bat an eye.

My stomach was in butterflies. He knew what I wanted and was making sure I got just that. Yes it's just a drink, but this shows he's not as shallow as I had presumed. Maybe he actually likes me.

Absolutely not, have you seen him?

"I know you didn't want that water," Ethan said seriously looking at me.

I felt almost guilty. The worst thing about him saying that is that he's right. I didn't want the water in the first place, but I don't know what I'm supposed to say to him.

"I'm not like Jeremy. If you want something get it. I'm not going to drag you down Dakota."

"I'm sorry," I muttered.

Right after those words slipped out of my mouth, Ethan stood from his side of the booth and slid into mine so he was completely next to me. His arm wrapped around me making us even closer. I kept my head turned out the window only for him to turn my head to look him in the eyes.

"Don't ever apologize for something that doesn't need an apology," he whispered looking me in the eyes.

"Sometimes I can't help it."

Ethan just shook his head with a smirk stretched out on his lips. He leaned forward pecking his soft lips against mine and then looked up at our waitress who returned with our drinks.

"Are you ready to order, or do you need more time?"