Chapter Eight

When I awoke the next morning, my head was pounding. My eyes felt heavier than normal, my cheek held a bright bruise, and I felt empty.

I didn't even feel like trying. There was no point in me dressing up, no reason to do my hair or even my makeup.

Looking through my closet I grabbed a pair of
old leggings, and a large hoodie that was once Jarred's. The front had his football jersey number and the back had STAR wrote across. My hair was thrown up in a sloppy bun and I didn't even try to put makeup on, knowing I'd fail at trying to cover the new blue and purple mark.

"D You ready?" Jarred asked as he knocked on the door.

I slowly crept out of my room and followed him downstairs. My head hung low as I pulled the hood up so he wouldn't notice the bruise.

The last thing I need is Jarred asking questions left and right.

"Mom and dad should be back this weekend," Jarred muttered trying to break the awkward silence in the car.

"For how long?" I asked.

I really just wanted my dad. He was always my main supporter. He'd defend me against my mothers harsh words, and he tried to make sure I was happy. The only reason I wasn't on medication for my depression was because of my mother.

"I don't know. Hopefully a full week this time." Jarred's voice came out annoyed as he used one hand to steer and the other to hold his head up.

One thing my brother and I could always agree on was that our parents would rather be at work then spend time with us. We know they work hard to provide for us, but they don't spend the money on us.

Our mother likes to flash the money. Dads the one who will spend money, but only after moms had her share.

We got out of the car and separated ways. The halls seemed more packed than normal. Lola stood at my locker watching my every move as I sluggishly walked towards her.

"Oh my god Dakota," she cried as I reached her.

Lola's eyes were wide in shock and fear. Her eyes held pure worry as I unlocked my locker.

"What the hell happened?" She asked causing me to flinch at her words. She never cussed unless she's upset or angry.

"I fell," I muttered and began putting my things in my locker and grabbing what I needed.

"Bull. What happened?"

"Lola," I said quietly as I closed my locker. I felt tears start to form in my eyes. My lips and chin began to shake as I shook my head. "Please don't."

I could hear laughing coming from the jock lockers across the hall. There stood Ethan, Grayson, Jarred, a couple more football players, and a few cheerleaders.

I couldn't tear my eyes off of Ethan. He wasn't participating in the conversation with the whole group, but was talking to a girl with clearly dyed blonde hair. Her laugh over powered everyone, but I know damn well whatever Ethan just said wasn't that funny.

Lola's eyes followed who I was starring at and her eyes grew even wider.

"Did Ethan do that?" She asked and I shook my head. I was about to say no but I felt a hard push on my back.

I turned my head and watched as Jeremy walked passed me. He shoulder checked me extremely hard. His head turned back and he held a smug smirk on his lips.

"You've got a lot of nerve Jeremy," Lola barked at him finally drawing to conclusion it was him who had struck me.

"Thanks for noticing," he laughed and stopped walking making his friends stop to. "Maybe she shouldn't just stand there. She blocked half the hallway."

More tears pricked my eyes and I felt one fell. I quickly wiped it away with my sleeve and stormed passed him. I can't handle it anymore.

"Dakota!" I heard a deep voice call for me. It wasn't Lola's or Jarred's. I wish it was Ethan's but it wasn't.

Grayson chased after me and caught up very quick. He placed his hand on my shoulder and turned me around. His arms wrapped around me as I cried into his chest.

"Don't worry about him. He's not worth your tears. I don't care what he's says you're you and that's good enough." His words were soft and quiet.

"I don't want to be here," I sobbed. My body shook against Grayson's.

For once in my life I didn't care about groups. I didn't care that people were probably starring at me. I didn't care that I looked like absolute shit. I just wanted to leave here and cry. I wanted to go eat a whole bunch of junk food and regret it later.

"Come on I'll drive you home," Grayson said and lead me down the hall.

As we walked passed my locker I saw Lola yelling at Jarred for not saying anything to Jeremy. Her voice was loud and echoing through the hall. Ethan stood against the locker with his arms crossed watching my friend yell, but once he noticed us he wouldn't look away. He was serious about the whole keeping our friendship secret.

"I'm going to tell them the plan and then we'll leave," Gray muttered and I nodded.

"You're trash Jarred Star. All you care about is yourself!" Lola shouted as Grayson made his way towards them.

"Hey are you ok?" A voice asked from beside me.

Looking to my side Ethan stood close to my body. The only reason he was talking to me was because people were to busy watching Lola scream at my older brother.

"It doesn't matter," I replied and tried walking away.

"Don't don't do that, not towards me," he pleaded. His eyes held the familiar hurt expression.

"You're the one who didn't want to be friends," I stated.

"Come on Dakota," Grayson said gently as he approached me.

"Where are you going?" Ethan asked as if he wasn't just talking to me.

"I'm going to take her home, make sure she's good. If I stay here I'll probably beat the shit out of the dumbass skater."

"I'm gonna go with you," Ethan rushed without allowing me to object.

The walk to their truck was quiet. The ride was awkward and I felt secluded. The twins sat in the front and I could hear violent whispers between them. My stomach dropped every time I heard them mention me or Jeremy, which was a lot.

"You don't have to stay," I said once Grayson pulled into my drive way.

"It's the right thing to do," Grayson answered. "I'm going to go get us all some food, what do you guys want?"

"I'm good," I sighed out and made my way towards the door.

Ethan appeared shortly behind me with the house key that my brother had gave Grayson before leaving the school. We made our way inside and I kicked off my shoes.

"We need to talk Dakota," Ethan grumbled as I walked up the steps to my room.

"There's nothing to talk about. You've made up your mind, don't change it just because I got dumped."

I felt guilty about saying that to him. I knew I was only attacking him because I was upset, but he deserves it. He didn't actually care about me. If he did he wouldn't want to hide me.