Chapter Thirty-Eight

At some point I called Jessica to pick me up. There was no way I was walking from the Dolans all the way into town.

"What the hell happened to you honey?" She quizzed as I jumped into her van.

"I officially broke up with my boyfriend. I feel really numb right now," I answered honestly as my face stayed stone cold.

"Baby there's other fish in the sea. He probably wasn't all that anyway."

I pulled out my phone and showed Jess a picture of the perfect Ethan Grant Dolan.

"Damn he's easy on the eyes, but that doesn't always fix a lousy personality."

I nodded my head quietly and allowed silence to over take the car.

"So what's your plan?"

"Well I figured I would go talk to my school counselor and get my classes switched to online classes so I don't have to worry about going to school. I'll work at the diner as much as possible and save up. I'll buy a car and then save for a decent apartment," I explained as we approached the hotel.

"So you're leaving?"

"It's what's best."

"What about college. Don't throw away a good life for a shitty one," Jessica hissed at me.

"I'll move close to a community college and get some stuff done then I'll transfer to a big university and buy a new apartment so I don't have to worry about dorms and stuff."

"I really hope you know what you're doing sweet pea."

"I don't, but I'll act like I do."

"So what about this guy. Why did you dump him?"

"I don't want to talk about it," I huskily begged as we pulled into the hotel parking lot.

"Well I didn't ask. Spill."

"I don't know, we were too different. Ethan was the cool guy and I was the loser. He was perfect in every way, but he hurt me Jess. He built me up only to tear me down again, and what hurt the most was it was all unintentionally done."

I faught back tears as I sat silently next to Jessica. No doubt I loved Ethan, no doubt I will probably always love him. The world was a cruel place, it allowed you to meet the right people at the wrong time.

"Clearly you really like this boy, so why leave him high and dry?" Jessica sat puzzled.

"I couldn't do it anymore. The looks we got, the mean comments, the way I constantly felt as if I didn't deserve him."

"So you gave up?" She asked sounding disgusted and surprised.

Yes

"I had to do what was right for me."

"No you chose the easy way out Dakota. Life isn't about floating on through, it's about struggle and pain, you can't expect to receive love without putting up a fight," Jessica sternly spoke while looking me in the eye.

Tough love

"So you're telling me I should suck it up and put my mental health at stake over a boy?"

"No that's not what I'm saying. You have bad mental health in general, but you can't worry about others or what's going on in someone else's head. If you truly love this boy then you can't just walk away when you're at your low because at some point you'll be at your high and you'll want him back, you can't go back and leave again and again. Be smart about the whole situation."

I sat in the passenger seat dumb founded. What she was saying made complete sense. I blame so much on Ethan, when I've been the one to put these problems into place. I worried so much about how others saw us, and that could have been avoided had I not cared. My worrying is what caused the problems.

"I'll see you tomorrow," I awkwardly mumbled and hoped out of the van.

My hotel room was warm and cozy, just as I had left it. The bed was unmade, the curtains pulled closed, the heat on blast, and a lamp light on in the corner. My clothes laid in the corner and on the dresser.

I kicked off my shoes and jumped onto my soft bed. This is how I want it to be. Have a stressful day and be able to go to your own place and relax.

Was Jess right

No

Maybe we should go back

We need time

We need him

We will be fine

My head raced with thoughts as the night progressed, but I made up my mind. I'm done with Ethan, as for Grayson, I'm not sure yet.

Jarred: when are you coming home?

Me: Now you want to talk to me

Jarred: listen I know we aren't on good terms but you're still my sister

Jarred: mom and dad are coming home in a couple days and I don't want them to know you've not been here

So that's all it is, he'll get in trouble when dad finds out.

Typical

Me: I'll come back, but I'm not staying long. Maybe a month

I began to pack up my clothes and all my toiletries. I cleaned up the extra trash trying to make the maids lives a lot easier.

I sent Jarred a text telling him where to pick me up, and I waited.

"I can't believe I'm saying this, but I actually missed you," he sighed as he pulled me into a tight hug.

"Hmmm shouldn't have kicked me out."

"I didn't kick you out per say. I was just worried about you."

"Ahh Yes, I to kick out people I'm worried about," I joked and slid into the car.

"It wasn't like that and you know it."

I shrugged off his words and turned on the radio.

The ride home was quiet and neither of us dared to break the silence. When we walked into the house, we continued the silence.

"We need to talk," Jarred muttered as I walked into my bedroom.

"I'm done talking about it."

"D I'm serious I'm worried about you and Ethan," Jarred said as he walked into my room and sat on the corner of my bed.

"There's no reason to be," I snapped while rolling my eyes.

"Yes there is. He made you happy, and clearly you made him happy or he wouldn't be taking this whole thing so bad," he seethed.

"He's taking it bad?" I quizzed.

"I got a call from Grayson not too long ago, said Ethan was piss drunk and he was breaking shit."

Call him

Stay strong

Don't make him suffer

He made me suffer

He needs you

I needed him