Chapter Twenty-Two

The ride to the Dolan house was longer than I had anticipated. My house was only about fifteen minutes from the school, and we've drove twice that long. The roads were old and dusty, and had lots of random hills.

"Are you planning on killing me or something?" I asked breaking the silence that had been in the car since we left the parking lot. 

"Nha, you're safe with me. This time," Grayson laughed as he turned onto a gravel path.

The drive way was long and trees were planted along the path. The house could be seen from half way down, and it was beautiful. Parts were built with grey and red colored stones. The wood of the exterior was light and smooth looking. The windows allowed me to gaze into their living room and partial ways into the kitchen.

"You don't live here," I gasped not taking my eyes from the house.

"Yup, I do," Grayson smiled and pulled up to the two car garage.

"This is so, wow."

"I thought so to the first time I saw it."

"You don't think so now?" I quizzed.

"Not really, I got used to it. The house isn't as homey as you'd think," he explained and got out of his truck.

That explains it all. Ethan and Grayson never came over to the house because they wanted to hang out or spend time with Jarred or even me, they didn't like their house. They didn't feel like it was there home. They felt more welcomed in my home than in their own. 

"Where's your parents?"

"Probably work. They come home at around 9:30 each night, go to bed, wake up at 6:30, and leave around 8," he explained and unlocked his front door.

"I'm sorry. I know it sucks not seeing your parents a lot."

"I see them at least once a day so I don't really sweat it. You guys hardly see your parents, that must be hard on you," Grayson rambled as we walked up the steps towards I'm guessing his room.

"It does suck. Jarred and I aren't that close, my mom loves the money she makes, and my dad is just a love sick puppy. I don't know if I like it better when they are home or when they are away."

"You don't get along with your parents?" He asked.

"I'm not what my mom wants me to be," I shrugged while sitting down on Grayson's bed.

His room was plain. The walls were white, he had a black desk with a large computer, a queen sized bed with white blankets and pillows, and he had a photo of him, Ethan, and a girl on his night stand.

"What does she want you to be?" Grayson asked sitting next to me.

"The same everyone else does. Pretty, smart, skinny, great at sports, less 'emotional'."

"Whoever told you that you weren't smart? You're one of the smartest kids I know. Sure you're not the skinniest girl in high school, but that doesn't make you ugly by anyone's standards. There's people out there who are going to hate on things just because they think they can. And 'emotional' come on. You got beat by your boyfriend and were up and out later that night. You're a tough gal," Grayson's words came out quickly as if he was angry at my words. "I don't want you to ever change."

Maybe he's the better Dolan

Ethan who?

I kept my eyes locked into Grayson's. he was handsome. The way his jaw line could cut glass, his freckled chin, his beautiful eyes, but one problem, he's Grayson not Ethan.