Chapter Eleven

I stayed put in the kitchen and watched the water drip out of the faucet. The noise of the water hitting the bottom was quiet but to me it was deafening.

Part of me feels guilty about flipping on Ethan, but I didn't say anything I didn't mean. I still feel he's embarrassed of me. If I was hot I'd make friends with someone ugly because every time I looked at them I'd feel better about myself. There's no way a guy like him would like a girl like me, let alone be friends with me.

Maybe Ethan is a genuine guy. What if he does want to be friends with me and I'm just ruining this like I ruined my relationship with Jeremy?

Life is so difficult. I just want to shut my brain off for a couple minutes so I can just relax and stay calm.

You need to apologize

I hate when my subconscious speaks and makes me feel guilty.

Marching up the steps I walked towards my room and quietly opened the door. The sight made my heart melt a little. Ethan was laying on my bed curled up with a teddy bear Jarred won me at a carnival when we were younger.

How could I ever stay made at this kid? I was so mad even when I walked up the steps to apologize, and now he's making my heart beat a little bit faster.

I laid down next to Ethan and joined him in his little nap.

As much as I hate to admit it, I like him. He makes me feel happy and content. He understands me more than most people, and the sad thing about it is, he's too cool for me. He needs a girl like Regina George from Mean Girls, not the ugly version of Fat Amy from Pitch Perfect.

My eyes grew tired as I rested my head on his shoulder. Ethan stirred around causing me to open my eyes and he wrapped his arm around me pulling me closer to him.

I know he doesn't know what he's doing, but it made my heart flutter. Maybe I'm developing a crush on the cutest boy ever and maybe I'm gonna end up looking stupid, but the time being, this feels right.

————— *Four hours later ————

My eyes slowly opened as I felt my bed shift around. Ethan sat on the edge of the bed and then stood up and walked out of the room.

My heart sunk a little. Was he leaving? Was he still mad about what I said earlier?

After a couple minutes Ethan walked back in my room, shut the door, and made his way back.

"Nice to see you're up," he grumbled while looking at me.

"I thought you were leaving," I said while sitting up against my head board.

"No. I might be pissed, but I'm not leaving. I'll stay till Jarred gets back." His words were stern   and a little angry.

"Ethan I'm sorry okay."

"Don't apologize for having an opinion. Yes, I'm mad, but I'll get over it. I just have to understand that's how you felt and at some point I'll try to change your opinion."

He's a keeper Dakota

His words made my heart swell. Jeremy usually got mad when I said how I felt and he'd just scream and yell till I didn't want to feel anymore. The difference between Jeremy and Ethan was amazing.

"Thank you," I whispered trying to stop the smile on my lips from growing.

"Movie?" He asked as he grabbed one of my many zombie movies and placed it into my console.

As the movie started Ethan sat down on my bed but we didn't cuddle. He kept his distance from me making sure to let me know he's still mad.

"D!" A voice shouted from down stairs.

My door was slammed open a few seconds after and in walked my brother and Grayson.

"What?" I questioned annoyed my brother barged in.

"I wanted to make sure you were okay, ya know, after earlier," Jarred said sounding upset.

"I'm fine."

"How about you shower and change, and we'll all go out to the Mexican restaurant you like."

Jarred was being nice. He was actually worried about me.

If he truly cared he would have stepped in at school. He would have fought Jeremy. He would have been home with you instead of Ethan.

"Alright. Are you guys coming?" I asked really only caring if Ethan was.

I didn't want to be away from him right now. He kept my mind off Jeremy. He kept me sane.

"I'm down. E?" Grayson said looking at his older brother.

"I don't know."

My head shot towards Ethan as he looked down at the blankets. He held a blank expression as he tried making up his mind.

"Make up your mind. Dakota, go get ready," Jarred said and walked out with Grayson, leaving the door open.

"Please," I mumbled.

"I don't know Dakota. I'm not in a good mood. I don't want to ruin anything else."

"Shut up. Don't talk like that, not when I'm around. You didn't ruin anything Ethan. I'm sorry I made you feel like you did," I cried out as he shook his head.

"I want you to go out and have fun. Don't worry about the drama from today."

"I'm not going to have fun if you're not there," I spoke honestly.

His attention was fully on me now. His face was still serious and angry, but his eyes softened.

"I feel myself with you around. You know me better than them. You make me not think about Jeremy." I don't know why I kept talking. I should have shut up long ago.

"Dakota, I don't want you to get hurt anymore."

"If you want me to leave you alone I will," I stated as my heart and stomach sunk to the floor, "I just need you to tell me."

Ethan stood there with his back now towards me. It seemed as if he was making up his mind. Did he really want me to leave him alone?

Of course he does fat ass! Why would Ethan Dolan want Dakota Star? He doesn't want you as a friend or as a girlfriend. You're just his friends little sister, that's all you'll ever be

I hate went my subconscious talks. Almost 85% of the time she's just negative, but I usually always agreed.

Why would Ethan want someone like me in his life? He could be popular, famous even. He's a star football player and a wrestler. He's smart and he's nice and polite.

I'm not popular and never have been. I'm only good at chess, reading, and being socially awkward. Sure I'm smart, but that's only going to get me so far when there's still people smarter. In all honesty... I'm nothing.

"Dakota," Ethan said, "I want you to leave me alone."