Chapter Twenty-One

I tried my hardest to ignore the buzzing of my phone. I already knew it was Jeremy blowing up my phone based on his intense glares. He could never stand when I would ignore him.

The moment the bell rang I quickly packed up my notebook and supplies. Avoiding Jeremy was the best option for me at the moment. I rushed to the door and ran into someone causing me to drop my things before I even made it to the exit.

"F*ck, I'm so sorry," a deep voice said above me.

I stood frozen. There he was. James. He was even breath taking up close.

He's no Ethan Dolan

"No I was in too much of a hurry, I'm sorry," I replied once I got out of my daze.

"Why are you in such a hurry?"

"It's a long story," I nervously chuckled while I picked up the things I dropped.

"Hopefully I can keep up," James smiled and followed me out of the room.

"Well um, my ex is in there," I mumbled.

"Bad break up?"

"Very bad."

James nodded his head. It was clear he wanted to ask me for more details as to how bad the break up was.

"He um, I got a new friend and he didn't approve. He got violent and I couldn't handle it."

"No one ever deserves to go through something like that. I'd probably beat a guys a$$ for laying hands on a women violently," James said shaking his head.

My heart swelled at James' words. He just met me and he seemed to care about me more than most people.

"Thank you, I'm fine though," I reported trying to calm him down.

"You might be fine physically, but mentally I can tell you're not."

"Things have gotten better," I nervously stated as we approached my maths class.

"I'm here if you ever need someone to talk to," his words were soft and comforting. I could tell my the wave of his voice that he genuinely meant he was there for me.

With a small wave, James continued to walk down the hallway to his next class.

James was so beautiful. The way his chocolate brown hair fell into perfectly messy curls, the flutter of his long eyelashes whenever he blinked, the way he bit onto the black hoop piercing on his lip. Everything about him was perfect.

He's not Ethan Dolan, not even close

I took my normal seat in my math class, which was next to Ethan due to the teachers seating chart. Today we had a sub, so all we had to do was work on an assignment that would be due tomorrow.

"Who was that guy?" Ethan asked out of no where. His eyes stayed glued to his math book.

"James," I replied shortly.

"I don't like him."

Who was he to judge a boy he doesn't even know? Who was Ethan to not like someone just because they were seen with me?

"Excuse me?" I snapped and looked up at the amazing boy in front of me.

"I, don't, like, him."

"I didn't know I asked," I sassed.

By no means do I want to start another argument with Ethan. He was the last person I wanted to argue with about anything, even if he was in the wrong.

"I don't like Abby, what are you going to do about that?" I whispered so only he could hear.

"I didn't know I asked," Ethan seethed clearly annoyed.

"Then why are you allowed to get mad about James?" I barked, "Or even me spending time with Gray."

Ethan's head shot up and his glare stared into my soul. His nostrils flared as his chest heaved. The grip Ethan had on his pencil caused him to shake.

"You don't know what you're talking about."

"I don't? You be all buddy buddy with me, tell me to keep it a secret because of your 'image', then you kiss me, tell me to forget about it, get me and my boyfriend to break up, kiss me again, treat me like crap, then talk about all your hook ups in my house while I'm in tears upstairs. Sounds like you're just pathetic," I growled while holding his eye contact.

"What do you want from me Dakota? Do you want me to hold you and make out with you in front of your brother? Throw away everything I've been working on here? Treat you good so I only have one person here who likes me? I'm not your boyfriend, if anything were more of friends with benefits, minus the sex."

We caught a couple groups attention due to Ethan's voice going above a whispered shout.

Told you he didn't like you

It felt like I just swallowed a knife. I felt as if someone just punched me twenty times. Everything I've been put through because of Ethan, was just a waste of time. My first kiss meant nothing, the hours of him laying next to me watching movies and cuddling meant nothing, the fights, the hugs, the heart to hearts, the apology meant nothing. I'm an idiot.

I told you no one like him would want you

I know.

The only guy you're going to get is either a loser like you or a low life like Jeremy. Have fun dying alone...

Tears threatened to spill over. I could feel my oxygen being cut off slowly. Jeremy never hurt me as bad as this. He never even came close.

The second the bell rang I was gone. I couldn't get to my locker fast enough. Quiet sobs shook through my body as I tried opening my locker. After a couple tries I gave up and walked quickly to the exit.

"Hey where are you going?" A familiar voice chuckled until I looked up meeting the eyes of Grayson. "D, what's wrong?" He went from playful, to worried.

Grayson didn't care we were in the middle of the hallway, or even the fact he was surrounded by his jock friends who only stared at me weirdly. He was my friend before he was a popular jock.

My arms wrapped around his torso and my head buried in his chest. His arms automatically wrapped protectively around my large body.

Don't trust him he's just like Ethan

"Come on let's go. This is the last place you need to be," he whispered into my ear and carefully pulled me along out to the parking lot to his truck.

My body ached as I crawled into the vehicle. It hurt to breathe. I began gasping for air. The world was spinning and my vision started to blur. I could faintly hear the words Grayson was yelling at me.

Grayson's POV*

Her chest moved quickly as if she couldn't breathe. Her eyes closed harshly as she tried calming herself down.

"Dakota!" I shouted as I held onto her shoulders and shook her gently.

Her eyes opened and stared back at mine.

"I need you to calm down.  I need you to breathe. You're too good for whatever is getting to you," I calmly spoke knowing I needed to be in control of the problem.

After a couple minutes of me speaking calmly to Dakota she was ok. Her body shook as she rested in my arms and her tears still fell from her eyes. Why is she so upset? Why would anyone ever want to hurt her? She's so sweet and innocent. She's beautiful in her own little way.

"C..can we leave?" She stuttered while moving back.

"Yeah, buckle up D," I gently said and started up the truck.