Chapter Fourty-Two

My heart was whole again. Hour after hour, day after day, week after week, I felt myself fall for Ethan more and more. I know I told him I didn't want us to rush anything, but I found it hard to hold myself back from proclaiming my love.

Whenever I prepared myself to open up to Ethan more, whenever I wanted to move our relationship to the next step, my brain was filled with the images of him and Abby, my heart was stabbed with his betrayal. I wanted to forgive him, but my sub conscience wouldn't allow it.

"Hey D!" Ethan called throughout my apartment as he walked through the front door.

"What?" I replied as I stood in the bathroom getting ready to leave for the diner.

"Where are you going?"

"Work," I chuckled as if the answer was already obvious.

"Oh, I thought you were off today," Ethan retorted rather hateful.

"I was, but Jess called me, asked me to work a short shift," I explained, "you seem upset what's wrong?"

Ethan's eyes weren't filled with his normal spark. He looked drained, exhausted, and annoyed. Where's my bubbly dork?

"Huh, nothing I just wanted to chill today. Just lay on the couch with you."

"Well we can when I get back," I smiled while placing a soft hand against his cheek.

"I don't know I had some plans for tonight," he grumbled and pulled away from me.

Oh

"Oh um, I'm sorry E, it's just I need the money and I already told her I'd work I don't want to go back on my word."

"No it's fine I'll go to Chuck's."

"Chuck?" I quizzed.

Never have I heard Ethan or Grayson mention a Chuck.

"Yeah I met him a few months ago. Really swell guy," Ethan blankly stated.

I'm not digging this Chuck guy

"Where'd you meet him?"

"At a party."

"How old is he?"

"Like 23, I don't know he's a college student," Ethan said rather annoyed at my pestering.

"Well be safe and have fun."

What else was I supposed to tell him? 'No you can't go'? He isn't my property, he can make his own decisions and I'll make mine based off his.

Although I know nothing about this friend of Ethan's, I don't like him. Just the way he said his name made him sound evil, as if he was bad news. This could explain Ethan's attitude.

"Alright I guess," he growled and pulled out his phone before plopping down on my couch.

Things have been going smoothly till now. We'd cuddle on the couch, he'd stay the night, we'd talk about small things and then more serious matters. What's going on? Why is he acting this way?

"E?"

"Hmm,"

"Are you ok?"

"I already told you I'm annoyed you have to work tonight."

"You seem rather upset for something this small," I chimed starting to become annoyed.

"What do you want from me? I wanted to spend a night with you and you're treating me like I'm the bad guy."

A flash of guilt hit me. Was that all this was? Did Ethan really just want a nice night in with me? I couldn't help but feel like a jerk as I soaked in his small rampage.

"Oh, I'm sorry," I apologized completely defeated.

A slow and quiet sigh escaped Ethan's lips as he threw his head back. Seconds later he stood from the couch and walked up to me pulling me into an embrace.

"Don't be, I'm sorry for being an asshole, I shouldn't get so mad, you're trying to get your life on track and I'm proud of you," he said rubbing my back as he squeezed me a little tighter.

He's learning

"Hey I promise on my next day off we can hang out, but I have to get going or I'll be late," I muttered and pulled out of the comforting hug.

"I'd like that," he smiled and I headed to the diner.

******

Work was slow like normal. We had a hand full of regulars and then a couple new college students who mainly wanted to use our wifi.

"Ok spill it," Jessica panted as she placed the rag bucket in the counter and began wiping down the area.

"What?" I asked lost as to what she was talking about.

"Oh don't even, you're little miss depression today, you've been so happy recently and now you're down in the dumps."

"It's complicated I don't know," I started, "I guess I feel like I'm over reacting about things..."

"Such as?"

"Well Ethan was rather, upset, that I got called into work but he wanted to hang out and he just got an attitude about it, I don't know. He says he just wanted to spend time with me but for some reason I feel off about the whole situation," I explained the best I could.

"Why do you feel off about it?"

"Honestly I really don't know. He just got so mad over it and then claimed he would go hang out with some guy named Chuck."

"Do you know this Chuck?" Jess quizzed as she scrubbed the stove.

"No actually, he said he was a college kid about 23 met him at a party."

"Sounds fishy if you ask me," she pipped in shrugging her shoulders.

"I didn't ask," I mumbled trying to ignore how truly upset I was.

Jess was only telling me her opinion, not the facts. It's possible Chuck is indeed a swell guy and I'm just worrying for no reason. I wanted Jess to tell me I was being stupid and I should just go home and cuddle with Ethan and it would all be fine and simple.

It's Ethan, nothing is ever fine nor simple

"How about you go ahead and head home," Jess chimed in breaking the silence.

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah it's gonna be dead the rest of the night anyway no need of having you here. I'll see ya doll."

I couldn't have rushed out of work faster. I just wanted to see Ethan and hug him, kiss him, and cuddle.

A/N

Hey guys I know I've been updating really slow but please just bare with me life's been a struggle I just don't have a lot of time between school, work, and having a healthy relationship (I'm flexing don't hate) but I really appreciate you all and I'm so happy that you all have supported me with this book. I love you all!!!