Chapter Thirty-Four

I stood there silently as I tried to decide who's side I was going to be on. Either way, I was gonna end up getting my feelings hurt.

"Ethan has issues," Grayson said with a smug look on his face. He knew what he was doing.

"Gray," I whispered while looking him in the eyes.

"Sorry." His entire demeanor changed. He no longer held a smirk upon his lips, but a deep frown. His eyes were soft and his body was less tense. Ethan on the other hand looked like he had just seen a ghost.

"Well you guys can stay, I'm not!" He barked and stormed out of IHOP.

"I'll be back," I mumbled and quickly followed Ethan.

Don't argue he might leave you

"E!" I shouted, "E! Wait Up!"

"What Dakota?" He stopped in his tracks looking angry.

"Are you ok?"

"Fine."

"Ethan what's going on?"

"I'm fine Dakota I just don't want to be around those fake people. I don't care if you guys want to sit in there and listen to the lies they will spill, that's on you."

Ethan instantly turned around and continued his fast pace. He wouldn't stop when I called for him, he just walked faster.

After I stood outside for a while I went back inside and looked around eventually finding Grayson and Cameron.

"Where's E?" Cam asked looking behind me.

"I don't know he stormed off," I replied and sat next to Gray.

"What's his deal with those people?"

"Ethan messed around with the one girl and she has issues about Ethan's current relationship," Grayson chuckled while rolling his eyes.

"But if he's happy why does it matter?" Cameron quizzed.

Because he's not happy

"I think Ethan's keeping something secret," Grayson growled out glaring at the table.

"Grayson I trust him," I butted in sounding stern.

Stop trying to convince yourself

"D I'm just stating the obvious."

"Gray this is why you're still single, you have no clue how to help a girl when she's clearly upset," Cameron said while rolling her eyes at her brother. "Hey come on let's go to the bathroom real quick."

Both Cameron and I stood from the booth and made our way across the restaurant. Unfortunately we had to pass Abby's table on the way to the bathroom.

"Well looky here," she laughed when she noticed me. "Nice to see you without my man next to you."

I tried to keep walking but Abby stood to her feet and grabbed my arm holding me in place.

"Where is he? I wanted to tell him how much fun I had last night," she giggled while licking her lips and looking back at her friends.

I froze. A cold chill shot throughout my body as I replayed her words.

Was he with her last night?

Of course he wants her

Was that why he only wanted to cuddle?

He already got his pleasure

Is this why he wanted to leave?

He wanted to save himself from the guilt

"He left right after I sucked him off," she bragged.

"I don't know you but I already dislike you. You need to grow up and leave my brother and Dakota alone," Cameron pipped up.

"Just make sure your brother knows that I'm ready when he's done playing games for charity."

Cameron pulled me the rest of the way to the bathroom. My face held a blank expression as I starred into the mirror.

"Don't listen to her. She's just jealous that Ethan would rather be with you over her," Cameron calmly explained. "He would never cheat on anyone."

But would he cheat on a loser

"I think I just want to go somewhere to be alone," I sighed while fighting back tears.

"I understand," Cameron replied and led me out of the bathroom.

Abby glared at me the whole time and even stuck her foot out causing me to stumble. The table erupted in laughs as I caught myself before I fell.

"D you ok?" Grayson asked rushing to my side.

"I just want to go."

"Go where, you and Jarred are fighting," Grayson asked.

"I'll find a place. Thank you guys," I softly smiled and left the restaurant.

The wind was cold as it blew across my cheeks. I had no clue where I was going. I couldn't go home, Jarred was there and I couldn't tell him he was right. I couldn't go to Ethan's for obvious reasons.

You should have stuck to yourself

Why do you always have to be here?

I'm your subconscious I never leave

Maybe you could be positive

Impossible I think how you truly feel

I continued to walk until I reached an old time diner. The outside was a nice silver and the steps led to a see through double door. There was a clean counter top with red and silver bar stools and a bunch of booths scattered around the walls.

'Help Wanted'

This could be the start of a new beginning. I've never heard of this place so they just not be busy, which would give me time to balance work and school, plus I wouldn't have to worry about people from school always showing up.

I walked through the large doors and looked around. There was an old man sitting in the corner with a cup of coffee and a hamburger in front of him.

"Can I help you?" An older lady asked as she walked out from the kitchen.

"I was actually wanting to apply," I smiled trying to seem excited.

"Alright, well we are very short staffed so do you mind if we skip all of the paper work and I just ask questions?"

"Not at all," I chuckled and followed her to the counter.

I sat down on the bar stool as She went to the other side and poured me a cup of coffee while pulling out creamers for me to choose from.

"Ok honey what's your name and age?"

"Dakota Star and I'm 17, I'll be 18 in a couple weeks," I answered.

"Have you ever had a job before?"

"No ma'am."

"Why is that?"

"My parents have nice paying jobs, but as I get older I want to save up money and be able to get a move on with my life."

"I see," she smiled while nodding.  "Well you got the job honey. When can you start?"

"Now if possible," I laughed.

"Alright just go to the back and grab an apron and I'll show you the ropes."