Chapter Twenty-Six

All I could do was stand in my doorway. As hard as I tried, I couldn't pull my eyes away from the boy I possibly love. The way he continued to thrust into her not realizing the door was opened in the first place.

"Dakota, lets go," James said loudly over the music gaining the attention of Abby and Ethan.

Tears continued to silently fall down my face as I took in the scared expression from Ethan and the content look from Abby. In what world would this have been considered ok? Wasn't he the one who stood crying in the parking lot because I went on a lousy date with James?

He never liked you

"D, Wait!" Ethan yelled as I I took off down the stairs.

If someone was to stop me and ask where I was going, I would have told them to die. There's nothing holding me back. Not a thing. Ethan's got Abby to keep him happy, Jarred has mom and dad, me, I have no one.

As I sprinted outside I collided with a hard chest, one I've grown used to. Grayson. His arms instinctively wrapped around me, even though he didn't know why I was crying.

"What's wrong?" He quizzed gently. "D, I need you to calm down and talk to me."

Before I could even answer him, the front door was swung open and out ran Ethan in only his jeans and his shoes. His hair was a mess and his face was red.

"You've got to be kidding me!" Grayson yelled and his grip around me tightened. "Why can't you just stop huh? Don't you think she goes through enough as it is!?"

"Really Gray? Do you think that I don't care about her?"

"If you do you have a f*cked up way of showing it. I'm not stupid to see why you did what you did, but she didn't deserve it."

"Wow, you think I like being like this? That I like putting on a face to impress everyone? All I care about is her, but I can't do anything about it!" Ethan shouted as he threw his hands in the air trying to get his point across.

"So that's how you do it?" I sobbed as I broke from Grayson's arms. "You show that you care about me by f*cking a slut in my bed? In my room? The only place where me and you could go and be content with ourselves? You're disgusting!"

"D, let me explain please," he begged as he stepped towards me.

"I want to Ethan, and that's what scares me, but I can't. I'm tired of feeling like I'm not good enough for you. Like I'm letting you down, when in reality it's you. You go behind my back to put on a show for everyone else, but me, you claim you care, but you don't. Yeah you hurt the ones you love, but you've pushed it too far this time. I'm done, don't come to my house don't come near me, and stay the hell away from my brother."

The pain I felt in my chest was unbearable. The pounding in my head was louder than the music from my house. How could he do this to me? How could he go against me like that? I felt awful being out with James when I didn't even hold hands with the guy, but it was ok for Ethan to get down and dirty with someone else?

"Please, I'll change. I'll be the guy you fell for in the beginning," Ethan pleaded as he put his hands around my waist holding me to him.

"He's gone now E," I cried into his chest.

I wanted to stay in his arms forever. I felt as if this was the last time I'd feel his skin under my hands, the last time I'd smell his fresh scent, the last time I'd hear his voice.

"Don't leave me, you're all I have."

His tears fell onto my shoulder as he held me tight. His head was crammed into the crook of my neck as he gripped my clothing in his hands.

"I'm doing this for you," I whispered while snuggling further into his grip.

"Come on D, I'll take you to my house," James said as he pulled me from Ethan's tight hold.

"I'll be damned if you do," Ethan growled as he gained his composure.

"Really Dolan? You were just f*cking someone in her bed, you don't have anything on me as to why she can't come with me," James taunted Ethan with his glorious smirk.

"I don't trust you. I've seen you with that dip shit Jeremy. I know you're friends with him and I don't want you around Dakota. She's mine," Ethan barked as he pulled me from James.

If looks could kill

"Ethan I don't think you should be around Dakota right now," Grayson butted in gently.

I know what you're thinking, how could she be so close to him? How could she feel better in his arms? How could she even stand to breath next to him after witnessing his actions? You've never been in love with Ethan Grant Dolan.

"I know," Ethan replied shortly and pulled away. "But she's not going with him. Take her to the house I'll just stay here tonight."

"That's not a good idea," Grayson said shaking his head.

"Look I'll feel better knowing she's there with you than with this dip shit alright!"

I didn't even flinch at Ethan's outburst. I've heard him scream and cuss so much in the past few days that it doesn't even bug me anymore.

Grayson lead me to the truck and I quickly climbed in. I didn't want to have James arguing with me on how I should go with him. He's a nice guy, but he wasn't for me.

"Did you have fun on your date?" Grayson asked trying to make small talk on the ride.

"It was ok," I responded while starring out the window.

"Just ok? I thought you liked him."

"Gray, I'm not ready to like anyone else yet. I feel bad about going with him tonight even though Ethan was going behind my back. I feel guilty about the situation."

Grayson stopped the truck and pulled over to the side of the road. There's no lamp post and the only light was from the head lights and the glowing radio. He turned to face me. On arm slung over the steering wheel and the other was resting on my head rest.

"Dakota Starr listen to me. What Ethan did was wrong, what you did wasn't. You wanted to go out and test the waters not start a hurricane like he did. What happened tonight was all Ethan's fault. He's a dumb ass and doesn't deserve you at all."

My eyes welled up with tears as I listened to Gray's rant. If he was right, why did I feel guilty? If I was in the right and Ethan was in the wrong, why do I feel so ashamed?

"Why do I deserve this?" I bawled while shoving my palms into my eyes hiding the tears.

Grayson quickly unbuckled his seat belt and jumped out of the car. He opened my door and undid my seat belt allowing me to crawl out as well.

His arms wrapped around me burying me in his muscular chest. My tears stained his shirt as I clung to him for stability.

"You don't deserve any of this. You know what you deserve? You deserve a nice guy who knows how to treat you right, you deserve a family who is supportive of you, you deserve good grades and perfect friends, you deserve to have a family when you're older with healthy babies and pets, you deserve the perfect all American dream. You deserve the world Dakota."

As I listened to Grayson's speech, I couldn't help but wish it was Ethan saying these words. I wanted to be locked in his arms as he told me I deserved everything and then some. I deserved to have Ethan, but did he deserve to have me?