Chapter Five

"Where you been?" Jarred asked as soon as Ethan and I walked into the house.

"The park," I muttered and then walked upstairs to my bed room.

I opened up to Ethan and he opened up to me, but his reputation means more to him than himself. I wanted to yell at him back there, but I understand. I don't like people knowing how I feel.

As I sat on my bed I started doing my homework. I hated doing work, but it took my mind off things for a bit. I was more worried about the answer to number four than the answer of "what is life".

"Can I come in?" A voice questioned from outside my door. Ethan.

"Sure," I called and he opened the door.

"I came to check on you. Make sure your ok," he mumbled while scratching the back of his neck.

"I'm dandy," I said and refocused on my homework.

"You're not acting like it."

"What do you want me to do them? Be all butterflies and rainbows?"

To say I was a little annoyed was an understatement. I felt betrayed by Ethan. He allowed me to open up and then he just shuts it all down because of his image. I get he's popular and I'm not, but he told me we didn't have to label ourselves.

"You can talk to me Dakota."

"Not really I can't," I sighed.

His face looked confused and he shook his head. His eyes held a little bit of pain but he held it in.

"You're not different than the other jocks Ethan. No matter how hard you try to make it not look that way, you're the same," my voice came out quiet and hesitant. I was scared to speak those words, but some how I did.

"What the hell are you talking about?"

"The old "we don't have to label ourselves Dakota" and then less than ten minutes later you go "I have an image built up". You've been here a day."

"I meant everything I said. I care about what people think so the less they know the better," he explained while shaking his head.

"I understand that. I don't talk to people and I don't know why I opened up to you. I get that you don't want people to know your sensitive side, but if you're only hiding for a reputation, then you're just like everybody else."

My words were quiet and yet they held some sort of confidence within them. I wasn't mad at Ethan, I was just upset with myself. I can't get it in my head as to why I allowed myself to trust him.

"Maybe I'm the same as everyone else, that's not a problem. Just forget it. I'll see you tomorrow," he sighed and then left my room.

The moment he left I felt myself grow tired. I feel bad about yelling at him. I was upset with myself and I took it out on a boy I hardly knew.

The next day I woke up, straightened my hair, pulled on some black skinny jeans, a black The 1975 band t, and paired it with a black and red flannel.

"You ready?" Jarred asked as I walked down stairs rather sluggish.

I felt drained today. I stayed up late doing homework and I couldn't stop thinking about Ethan. The look of hurt in his eyes haunted me. I made up my mind I was gonna apologize to him today and try to explain why I even said anything.

"I'm as ready as I'm gonna get," I replied and made my way outside.

"What did you and Ethan talk about yesterday?"