Chapter thirty-five

The kitchen of the diner was a little messy due to the lack of crew. After I found the apron and wrapped it around my waist I walked back out to meet the older women, who I've not gotten the name of yet.

"Ahh, Alright Dakota, how do you feel about being a cook?"

"A cook?" I asked almost as if I was asking myself.

"The recipes are in a book and they are in alphabetical order so you'll be able to find it. Good luck honey," she smiled and patted my shoulder.

As I looked around the messy kitchen I decided to make the space clean. I scrubbed the floors and washed all the dishes. I made sure everything was put away and I even found a label maker to label the drawers and cabinets.

The night went on smoothly as I made meal after meal. My phone never even buzzed. I thought someone might want to know where I'm at, but I guess not.

"Closing time," the lady sang as she walked through the doors into the kitchen.

"I'll finish cleaning and head out," I smiled.

"Honey I'm very impressed with you. You got this place cleaned up like it was nothing, you got meals out pretty darn quick, you act like you're a professional."

"I like cooking. It was something my dad used to help me with when I was little," I smiled while scrubbing a pan.

"So what are you running from?" She asked as she grabbed a jar labeled 'Tips'.

"I'm not running from anything," I retorted.

"Dakota, I was young once too. I see myself in you, I don't want you making the same mistakes I did."

"I'm sorry but I don't feel very comfortable opening up to you, I don't even know your name," I said gently while putting the pan in it's correct cabinet.

"I'm Jessica, and it's fine I just want to believe you're gonna make it big some where, and here isn't it."

Jessica began splitting the large amount of cash into two separate piles. She looked lost in thought as she kept counting away.

"Alright dear we made $63.20 a piece," she laughed while sliding one of the stacks to me.

"How is this possible?" I quizzed counting the money.

"Most of our customers are older people who tip well and they know they aren't gonna be on earth much longer so why not give it to those who feed them a hot meal."

"Is it like this every night?"

"For the most part. Typically it's about 40 a piece but a lot of people were complimenting the new cook," Jessica smiled sending a wink towards me.

If I make this money each night then I'm gonna be set. I'll just save all my tip money and then I'll be able to buy a car and then eventually an apartment. You can't count on anyone except yourself.

"Do you need a ride home honey?" Jessica asked as she grabbed her purse and jacket.

I looked through the glass doors and thought about where I was gonna go. I don't want to see Ethan, and I don't want to see my brother.

"Is there a cheap hotel around here?"

"Come on we'll find something," she smiled and led me out to her old rusted van. "She isn't much but she still runs."

An awkward silence filled the van as Jessica began driving towards the hotels. My phone began buzzing in my pocket.

Gray🙃: D, where are you I'm worried

He wasn't worried when you walked away

Gray🙃: please talk to me

I turned my phone off and stuck it in my pocket. I'm on my own now.

"Do you have any other clothes?" Jessica asked as she turned on her turn signal.

I shook my head no and she sent me a small smile.

"I'll tell you what, I'm gonna take you shopping, and then I'll get you settled into the hotel."

"Why are you helping me so much, you don't even know me?"

"I told you, I see a lot of myself in you. I can tell you're a sweet girl just trying to find your place in this messed up world." She explained still smiling.

"You should know I really hate shopping," I laughed.

"I do too, but you can't wear that everyday."

She pulled into a parking lot and we quickly got out and walked inside. There were many different styles of clothes.

"Alright honey, what's your style?"

"I really don't have one. I kinda just go with the flow," I chuckled and began looking through clothes.

"How about this?" Jessica asked while holding up a burgundy dress that had a black belt that looked to fall underneath the breasts.

"It's cute, but I don't think it would look good on me," I sadly smiled and continued looking at clothes.

"That's crazy talk, if you look confident and act confident people will compliment you and that will make you confident. You're a beautiful girl, you need to realize that."

After about fifteen minutes of us loading clothes up into a cart and me trying them on, I got about six new outfits, and two pairs of shoes.

We went back to the hotel and Jessica got everything set up for me. She gave me her number in case I needed her and she headed home.

The room was small and had two beds. There was a large window that slid open to a balcony. I leaned against the railing and stared up at the stars.

They're beautiful

Now you have something nice to say?

They shine like it's nobody's business you should too

I can't

Embrace who you are love who you are and don't take shit from nobody

A/N

Hey guys I know this chapter is short and I know I've been off my game with updating but that's because I'm working on a boo and I'm in a weird spot so I need to keep making moves.

If you guys ever need someone to talk to you can message me or need any advice I'm here for you guys. I love you xxx