Chapter Nine

The rain began hitting my window drawing my attention away from my blankets. Ethan sat at the end of my bed playing a game he managed to have Grayson pick up from their house. Gray sat next to me on the bed. I was under the covers and he was over them.

Although both the twins have been in my room for the past hour and they've been talking, I felt as if I was all alone. I still felt like crying, but I knew it wouldn't end well if I did. Once I started I wouldn't be able to stop.

Out of no where my stomach released a growl, but I ignored it. I wasn't going to eat. I'm too upset to eat, and when I'm upset my main defense mechanism is to force myself not to eat.

"What do you want to eat Dakota?" Ethan asked without taking his eyes off the screen.

"Nothing," I sharply said sending a hard glare towards him.

"What do you want to eat Dakota?" He repeated still looking at my tv.

"Nothing Ethan," I snapped once again.

"Gray go to Mcdonalds and get her some fries, a double cheese burger, and a medium chocolate milkshake." His words came out dominant as he paused his game.

"She said she didn't want anything though," Grayson said in confusion as to what was going on.

"I know she did," Ethan growled at his brother as he unpaused his game.

"Alright I'll be back," Grayson muttered and walked out of my room.

"I'm not letting you do that ya know."

"I don't know what you're talking about," I sighed while rolling onto my side and cuddling into my blankets.

"I get you're upset, but I'm not letting you cause damage to yourself."

"Me skipping a couple meals isn't going to hurt, might even be good for me," I said refusing to look at Ethan.

He paused his game and set down his controller. His body moved quickly as he laid next to mine under the covers. His hazel eyes peered down into my boring brown ones.

"Don't say stupid crap like that, not to me. You're hurting and you're blaming yourself for things. Nothing that happened was your fault," Ethan said calmly but I sat up.

"Listen to yourself. It's not my fault? Jeremy broke up with me because I kept talking to you. Had I just ignored you like I'm expected to, I'd still have Jeremy. I wouldn't be mad that you're embarrassed to even be friends with me and I wouldn't be so damn confused all the time. It's my fault, but I can't get that into anyone's fucked up brain," I yelled as tears fell down my cheeks.

"Dakota had you ignored me you'd still be getting abused by that piece of shit guy. He'd still have full control over your every move and thought."

"At least then I knew where I fit in. I knew I didn't mix with people like you. I knew Jeremy was the best I was going to get. Once you came along you broke the system. You talked to me, you acted like you cared. I didn't need that!"

More tears made their way down my face as sobs left my body. I couldn't control it. I've left everything so bottled up inside that I couldn't stop this.

"You need someone to tell you everything's ok," Ethan whispered as he pulled me into his chest.

My head rested against his hard warm chest. His hands rubbed my back soothingly as he rested his head on top of mine. My body shook against his as my emotions ran wild.

"It's all going to be ok Dakota, go to sleep. I'll be here when you wake up," Ethan pleaded and I closed my eyes.

*Ethans POV

I laid next to Dakota as she slept. I don't even understand what's happened since I've moved here. I promised myself I wasn't going to turn into Mr. Popular and be mean to those who others saw less.

When I met Dakota in third period I knew what social group she fit into, but I didn't want to be like those who used to bully me.

Now that I've actually met her, I know she isn't that bad. Yeah she has some self esteem problems, but who doesn't. Even though she's bigger than most girls our age, she's still beautiful. When I saw her the first time I noticed she was bigger, but I didn't think anything of it.

My arm clung tightly around her as puffs of air left her mouth. I felt guilty about everything she's dealt with. I'm the reason Jeremy hit her. Had I not been here, he wouldn't have went crazy. She wouldn't be heartbroken and hurt.

I told her I didn't want people to know about us being friends, but I did it to help her. I didn't want something like this to happen again.

I know Dakota has depression, I knew from the moment I met her. Her eyes were dull. Her light had been stolen and that's what brought me towards her.

My hand rubbed her back making sure she was fully asleep and her phone buzzed. I quietly reached for it and my blood boiled as I read her message.

Jeremy❤️❤️: hey babe, lm sorry about yesterday. I was just really mad about you spending time with that Dolan kid. I don't want him to take you away from me he isn't what you think he is. He's just like every jock.

Jeremy❤️❤️: you can't stay upset forever.... I already forgave you

Jeremy❤️❤️: I'm missing your beautiful smile today D....

He was trying to manipulate her, again. I wasn't going to let her go back to him. I can't see her go through pain again. He took the light from his eyes and he didn't even care.

*Dakota's POV

At some point I had drifted off to sleep, and when I woke up I felt a little bit better. My face was pressed into Ethan's hard chest as light snores left his parted lips.

This felt weird and good at the same time. I've never had a boy in my bed. I've never woke up cuddled next to a guy who wasn't Jarred or my father.

Ethan's grip around me was tight, as if he was trying to mold me back together. I was falling apart and he knew it. After seventeen years I couldn't handle things anymore.

"Morning," Ethan chuckled as he rubbed his eyes with his left hand.

"Where's Grayson?" I questioned. A McDonalds bag sat on my desk, but he was no where in sight.

"I told him to go back to school. I wanted him to make sure everything was all cool and get stuff settled before we go back tomorrow."

He said 'we', as in him and I. Was he going to change his mind about the whole hidden friendship?

Ethan's a really great guy. I've opened up to him emotionally more than I've ever opened up to anyone, and I really haven't known him long. I felt like I could tell him almost everything.

A/N

Sorry this chapter is shorter I really appreciate all of you taking time to read this story. I enjoy writing it and I like reading comments and everything. Thank you xx