Chapter Two

I turned my head and looked to the boy on my left. The new guy.

Even up close this guy looked extremely attractive. Most the boys here looked good from a distance but when they got closer to you they really looked terrible.

As much as I wanted to say no and tell him to just ask the teacher, I couldn't. For some reason I got into my pencil pouch and I handed him a pencil. One of my favorite pencils, might I add.

His eyes lit up a little and he looked me in the eyes. He smiled gratefully and my stomach turned. I returned the smile but it wasn't as big as his. He was a lot nicer than most guys or really people in general.

"Alright guys we're gonna do a poster. I want you guys to separate into groups and then I'll have you draw out of the cup who you have to do the poster on," Mr. Jones said once he walked into the room.

People grouped up with their friends and I saw as a couple girls whispered and started pointing at the hottie next to me. One of them started to get up.

"Hey will you work on this with me?" It wasn't the girl asking the boy. It was the boy asking me.

I turned my head to make sure if he was actually talking to me. He was. He watched me intently waiting for me to tell him yes. Normally I work alone on projects just because I don't typically have friends in my classes.

"Umm Yeah sure," I muttered and then I caught sight of the girl who was making her way over here. She has since returned to her seat, and her whole group was glaring at me.

When Mr. Jones came around I picked out of the cup a small folded piece of paper and he carried on.

I opened the paper trying not to take long. Dolan was watching me and it was making me very anxious.

"We got, um, George Washington," I mumbled and looked over at the boy.

"My boy George," he laughed and I chuckled. "I'm Ethan by the way."

He stuck his hand out for me to shake and I slowly brought my hand up to his. I was slightly scared he would pull his hand away quickly and make me feel dumb.

"Dakota," I replied while shaking his hand.

"Thanks for being my partner. I haven't had the chance to make many friends yet and I saw you in my second and you seemed pretty approachable."

Maybe Ethan wasn't the typical jock. He's clearly still a jock, but he's nice and he isn't dumb. He actually cares about what he's doing and he cares about those around him even if he doesn't know them.

Ethan told me about how his family moved here because his siblings and him were facing some bullying problems. I don't know how anyone would want to bully Ethan. He told me about his twin brother Grayson and his older sister Cameron. We talked more than we worked on the poster.

"I've told you my whole life story. The least you could do is tell me your last name," he joked as he began writing down George Washington's Birthday.

"If you must know my last name is Starr. I have one older brother and that's really all I have to say about me," I said and he looked up at me.

"What about your friends, boyfriend, mom, dad, pets? There's more to you than just your last name and your brother."

"Not really. I stick to myself," I explained and then looked at the clock.

"But you're talking to me," Ethan mocked with a smirk.

"You talked to me first and I didn't want to be rude," I replied and then began putting away the supplies we had gotten out for the poster.

"Fair enough. Can I get your number so we can set up a time to work on this?" I stopped what I was doing and looked up at Ethan. No one has ever asked me for my number before.

"Umm sure," I mumbled and then grabbed his phone once he had opened the new contact and handed me it.

When I was done I handed it back to him and the bell rang. I quickly grabbed my things and rushed towards the door. I wanted to get away from Ethan. Something about him made me like him. He was sweet and polite. He wasn't like the guys here and that scared me. I was prepared to hate him and not get along with him. I was ready for him to be a complete jerk, but he wasn't.

I was thankful once lunch rolled around. I couldn't stop thinking about Ethan. He was actually nice to me. He was actually a human. He was amazing.

"Have you met Mr. Hottie yet?" Lola asked as we stood in the lunch line.

"Matter of fact I have," I gushed and she smiled.

"Did you talk to him? Bitch tell me everything," she gasped and grabbed onto my arm quickly.

"There's two new boys and they're twins. The one I met was Ethan," I explained and she smiled. "He's nice and sweet and easy on the eyes."

"What did you talk about?"

"Mainly him and George Washington," I laughed and she rolled her eyes.

"Maybe if you keep talking to him you can forget about Jeremy," she muttered while rolling her eyes.

Jeremy. I hadn't even thought about him. Usually he's running through my mind non stop. Now Ethan is.

"I like Jeremy," I said to Lola and we walked to our table.

"I know you do D, but he's not a good guy. He won't even talk to you at school."

"He doesn't want his friends to embarrass me."

"He doesn't want them to embarrass you or you embarrass him? He shouldn't care about what his friends think if he actually likes you."

I knew her words were true. I knew he didn't truly like me. Jeremy never talked to me while at school, he would come over to the house maybe once every month and he never took me places, but something made me think he cared. Maybe it was just because he would talk to me. Maybe because he at least acted like he cared,
sometimes. Whatever the reason may be, I can't just stop talking to him. Before I could reply to Lola my phone buzzed.

Jarred🙄🙄: Dont take forever coming out of school today

Me: y

Jarred🙄🙄: because I said not to

Me: ok mom

Leave it to Jarred to always text me at the wrong time. Whenever I'm upset he always ends up sending me a stupid message that usually puts me in a worse mood.

"I'm sorry, but I just don't think he's right for you," Lola finished and I sighed.

"Look I'm not looking for him to be my husband or anything. We're only juniors. I'm not supposed to find love and then be stuck with the same person forever. No I can't see myself with Jeremy in the future, but he's here now and that's what matters," I defended and began looking around the room.

"I understand where your heads at Dakota, but you're gonna end up getting hurt. He's gonna play you and you'll be the one hurting not him."

Lola was right. I figured a while back I was going to end up getting played, but I don't care. I'm not that connected to him. If he's going to play me and it hurt me, he's gonna have to try really hard.