Prologue

[Elize Ryd]

Sophia Gonzalez

My phone vibrates beside me. I turn away from my laptop and look at my messages. It was Lexi. She wanted me to go with her to a street racing that her brother was going to. Lexi has been following her brother, Mason, who has been getting into a lot of trouble lately. She wanted me to go with her. I really didn't want to but I don't want to leave her alone.

I replied with a yes and get off my comfy bed and open my closet. I grab out a black crop top and black leather pants. I change out of my pajamas and put my clothes on. I brush my black hair and put my iPhone in my back pocket. I brush my teeth and put my black boots on and walk downstairs to see my mom doing the dishes.

"Mom I'm going to go over Lexi's house." I was about to leave until she stopped me. "Where are you guys going?" I hated on how she had to know what I was doing all the time. It was annoying but I guess that's what parents do. "We are going to the movies." I lie.
I hate lying to my mom but she can't know that I'm going to an illegal street racing. It wouldn't matter anyways. I'm twenty six years old.

The only reason why I haven't moved out is because my mom needs me since my dad left. She wasn't eating well and would sleep all day. I was worried for her. I wanted to stay so she would get better. I worked at a well paying job and saved up a lot of money. I know she feels guilty about me not having my own place and anyone to share it with.

But she means more to me then anything else. I don't care if I have to give up my life for her. She didn't deserve on what my dad did to her. "Okay, have fun. I will see you soon." I nod. She was the only thing I had and so was I. "See you soon mom." I walk out the door, checking my watch. I still had some time to spare so I decided to go to the park because it was close by.

It was where my dad brought me when I was little and even though he left, I still liked the memories that we shared, even if it was all a lie. I walk for about ten minutes until I see the park. I see the parents on the bench watching their kids play on the slides. I'm not surprised though that it's packed, it's two thirty in the afternoon and it's a Saturday. I sit on the bench far from the people.

Where you at?—Lexi

I'm at the park—Sophia

Okay—Lexi

I look around, smiling at the kids who are playing. My dad hasn't called me since they got divorced. But that is okay. I have my mom and Lexi who has been by my side since we were in school. Lexi parks in front of the playground five minutes later. She rolled down the passengers window and yelled, "Get in!" I walk up to the black Jeep and get inside. I put on my seatbelt on while Lexi starts driving. "So, ready to go and find my brother?" I nod. We drive for awhile and come up to a secluded area where a bunch of people were at along with their cars.

It looked like one of those Fast And Furious movies. There were so many expensive cars everywhere. I would love to have all of them. It must be nice to be rich. Lexi parked next to a black bmw. That thing was worth more then my own house. We both get out and walked further up.

Lexi and I see Mason talking with his friends. They were all laughing and having fun. We walk up to them and once Mason sees it was his sister, he sighs. "Are you ever going to stop following me?" He asks. "When you stop being an idiot and leaving my side." Lexi looked like she wanted to punch him. "Hey Sophia." I look at Nick and he smiled at me.