(11) Am Ready

Abimbola

"Morning",Raj whispers with a smile as I sit up on the bed. I yawn tiredly then sigh.

"Morning",I reply then look up to find him putting on his tie.

"What time is it?".

"Nearly 8:30",he replies.

My eyes widen and I jump off the bed, rush to our wardrobe and get out blue denim jeans with a red heart at the right side, a black long sleeve top then a blue short sleeve silky coat that ends at my feet. I close the wardrobe then feel arms around my waist.

"Raj".

"Why are you in such a rush baby?",he whispers kissing my cheek.

"I have work at 9 Raj am going to be late",I turn to him and he frowns. "Am sorry",I kiss his cheek then rush past him into the bathroom.

***

"Am sorry Debbie I'll be there soon enough",I hang up then run down the stairs with my black bag in one hand and red folder in my other hand.

"Oh beta morning",aunty and uncle smile as I walk into the dining room. Everyone is once again seated.
"Morning",I smile then look at Raj who pulls out my chair.

"Your going to work?",Amira asks.

"Yeah. Am actually already late so I won't be able to eat with y'all. Am really sorry",I apologize.

"oh that's alright but let me pack you some lunch" aunty says.

"Oh no that's okay I usually get lunch there b-".

I look at Raj who scratches his head with a clearing of throat.

"But sure I'd love that thank you",I say then aunt smiles and jumps up.

"So babhi"Amira smiles.

"Mmm?",I look at her confused.

"What's it like making use of biological organisms, systems, or processes to develop technologies and products to improve the quality of life?",She asks with interest evident in her tone and facial expression.

"Very exciting",I whisper.

"Really?"she smiles.

"Well it is exciting sometimes and sometimes not so. Its also nerve wrecking too but if you have the right facts and method. You'll do just fine",I explain then she smiles.

"Is it hard to get into the job?",Musa asks looking at me.

"Um well it took me three weeks after graduating university to get the job. Not that hard".

"Can you look at my work later and see if I have what it takes?",he asks.

"Sure. If you want you can also actually visit my workplace Debbie, my manager, she'd be happy to show you around",I add which put a smile on his face.

"Ah thanks Babhi".

"no problem",I smile then look down at Raj who's smiling. I smile then look up just as aunty walks out holding a green container. "Okay there's some biryani and chicken. You like that right?",she asks.

"Yeah yeah thanks aunty",I smile and she hands the container to me. "Rajveer beta will you drop her so she doesn't get late",she says.

"Oh aunty I have my own ca-"

Raj shakes his head and gets up. "Car"I mumble the rest of it to myself then force a smile. "But I'll get a ride from him". "Be careful and be home early okay, late nights are dangerous",aunty says kissing both mine and Raj's cheek. "Don't worry mom we'll be here before 10",Raj chuckles.

I smile and nod. "Be careful",she says. I pick up my bag and file then turn to Raj who picks up his laptop bag and two files from the table then his phone. We walk out of the house and towards the garage. He presses the pin and it opens. We walk into the large space garage with different kind of cars available to ride. We get into his Mercedes and drive out of the garage which closes itself as we leave.

***

"Hey",I walk to the living room in my black abaya where the family is watching Sasural Simar Ka. That series is already boring now. They doing too much now.

"Sit here",Sarah and Amirs pat the seat in the middle of the two. I smile then walk over to them and sit in between the two. 

"Popcorn?",Raj passes a bowl of popcorn towards our side. "Popcorn?",Anira asks me. "Oh no thanks",I shake my head.

"You don't like popcorn?",Sarah asks.

"Oh I do bu-". I stop myself from finishing. What if they look at me with disgust. I don't like salty popcorn it makes me feel sick but I do like toffee popcorn. My mom always taunts me about it saying "why do you eat toffee popcorn. Its filled with sugar and your already fat enough".

"Am just full",I finish with a small smile.

"Yeah I don't like salty popcorn either. I prefer toffee popcorn",Raj says walking in with a bowl of toffee popcorn. I look st him and he smiles then gives Sarah and Amira a look. Sarah gets up and sits beside her husband Luqman who has their son Saqib on his lap while Amira sits beside her twin brother Musa. I give them confused looks but the whole family just snicker as Raj takes a seat beside me.

"Care to join me?",he asks. "We'll be up in our room if anyone needs anything",he says then holds my hand and pulls me up. "But I want to stay here",I whisper instantly getting scared that something might happen if we stay in the room together. ALONE.

"Oh babhi go with bhai before he starts getting all sulky",Amira says. "Yes babhi go with bhai",Raj nods giving me an innocent smile.

"Stop teasing her will you",aunty says.

"But mama what fun would that be",Amira says earning a small smack on the lap from aunty who then smiles at me and Raj.

"Come on",Raj pulls me up the stairs while the bowl of toffee popcorn is in his other hand.

***
Raj and I sit down on his bed, me in my baggy sweatpants and black baggy top and him in practically the same thing, just different colors.
"Prince of Bel-Air?",he asks scrolling through the Netflix shows. "Yes please"I nod. He plays it from season 4 then gets in bed beside me. I smile a little then scoot away a bit. He turns to me and smiles then places the bowl in the middle.

I laugh at Will Smith crazy dance with Raj. I swear this show is amazing and so funny.

Will and his girlfriend start kissing which causes tension in the room. I glance at Raj who's also looking at me.
"Raj"I whisper.
*mm?"he hums

I pause the show then turn to him.

"Am ready"I whisper. "Ready?"he raises an eyebrow at me with confusion.

"Um ready to um seal our marriage".

"I thought you wa-"

"I know but if I don't do it now I might never be comfortable with you. Its a risk am willing to take",I look up at him to find him smiling.

"Don't smile"I groan and cover my face then he starts laughing.

"Raj"I whine and frown.

"Am sorry baby but I know tour worried about lil tummy thing. I know you'd have some anyways but I still chose to marry you. What makes you think that I'd leave you because of that?",he says then smiles and rubs my cheeks. "Your beautiful and perfect to me even with your imperfections",he kisses my lips gently then glances up at me. I smile shyly then close my eyes slowly as he presses his lips onto mine again.
"Relax",he whispers as he lays me on our bed. Am so thankful that my stomach is flat when am laying down it only shows when am sitting down. Oh thank you so much God.

"Are you sure your ready?",Raj asks me again.

"500 percent"I whisper.

He smiles then chuckles then slides up my top revealing my purple bra. I suck in some air and bite my lip as the nerve start kicking in once again but relax almost immediately when he places a few kisses up my stomach which made me giggle instead. He smiles then kisses my lips softly.