Chapter 8: The Ocean

"Hato," said Reiner.

I look up from my phone and at Reiner.

"What is it?" I asked.

"I need you to keep and eye on Armin while we go out to find food."

"WHAT?! WHY ME!?"

"Because we're also going to be in reach of Titans and I know you don't know how to fight them," he said.

"Fine," I pouted.

"Thank you. Come on Bertholdt."

Reiner and Bertholdt jumped off the edge of the wall and used their 3DGM to fly towards a random nearby forest. I sighed and looked at Armin, who was just looking out over the abandon city. I stood up and walked over to him.

"Soooooooooo," I said, trying to get his attention.

Armin looked up at me. His eyes filled with fear.

"What exactly happened here?" I asked while sitting down.

"You mean you don't know?"

I sighed.

"Look kid, I'm from the other side of the Atlantic ocean. Do you really think I would know about what happened in Germany?"

His eyes suddenly lit up. I looked at him with confusion written on my face.

"You mean you've seen the ocean?" he asked excitedly.

"You haven't?"

He shook his head.

"We're not supposed to know about the outside world. It's illegal," he explained.

"Really!? Back in America, knowing things wasn't illegal. We could do whatever we wanted with the knowledge we had. You can go anywhere you want. You can be whatever you want. There's just so many opportunities out there," I said.

"Like what?" he asked.

"Hm, well, I'm a You Tuber. My roommate is a singer. My other roommate is a game designer and sometimes makes little designs for stuff like my backpack. Stuff like that," I said.

"What kinds of games?"

"Well...." I said while pulling out my phone," These kinds of games."

I pulled up Fnaf 4 on my phone. Armin looked at it confused.

"What's that?"

"A phone," I said bluntly while pressing start.

The words 'Night 7' appeared on my phone. After a few seconds of playing, the phone fly's out of my hand because FREAKING NIGHTMARE FREDDY. I nearly screamed when it happened because I always do. Armin didn't really get scared, but he was surprised. Armin was also trying to not laugh, which made me embarrassed.

"Um," I said, trying to think of something to say to cover up this embarrassing moment," You said you've never seen the ocean, right?"

Armin nodded his head (Man, people are nodding there heads a lot here, aren't they).

"Do you mind telling me about it?" he asked eagerly.

"Sure!"

I then looked out over the city.

"It's beautiful, to put it simply. There's salt water everywhere and there are so many types of fish."

"If it's salt water, how come none of the merchants have tried to get the salt out of it?"

I looked at Armin, then I started to laugh. He looked at me confused. When I stopped laughing, I looked out over the city again.

"The salt in the water is completely dissolved into the water, so no matter how many times you try to get the salt out, it won't work."

Armin stared at me in aw.

"Can you tell me about the animals?"

"Sure," I said," There are millions of different species of fish. For example, there are sharks, clown fish, puffer fish, etc. But even where I live we haven't explored even a handful of species that live in the ocean. There are also some animals like whales that breathe air and live in the ocean."

"What's your favorite?" asked Armin.

I looked at him confused.

"I mean of the animals that breathe air."

"Oh, Narwhals of course."

"What's a Narwhal?"

"There a type of whale that have a giant horn on there head. They're really popular at home. To the point where someone has made a really annoying song about them."

"A really annoying song? That sounds.... interesting."

"It's actually really funny. But I don't think you would understand any of it," I said.

"Why's that?"

"Well, 1. it's in another language and 2. it has references to things that don't really exist here."

"Oh," Armin said sadly.

I stood up and looked around. Reiner and Bertholdt weren't supposed get back for another hour. I walked over to the other side of the wall. When I got to the edge, I just stood there.

"There are places were the ocean meets the land called beaches," I said.

Armin turned his head around and looked at me.

"The edge of the water is called the shore, and the land is covered in sand. The view is always amazing, especially when the sun is setting or rising. There are also waves in the water that are fun to play in."

I stopped myself right there. Armin looked at me curiously.

"I've been meaning to ask you Hato. Why did you only live with two other girls that are about the same age as you. Wouldn't you need a parental guardian?"

I sighed and looked at Armin with a sad look on my face.

"Well, we had our reasons for specifically choosing each other as roommates," I said.

Armin looked at me curiously.

"What is the reason?"

I sighed and looked back out over the wall.

"If you don't want to say it, you don't have to."

"No, it's fine," I said," My roommates and I were really good childhood friends. You see, our parents were really good friends so we always were able to hang out. At times, our parents would even go on vacation together. Most of the time it was the beach. But one day, we were at the beach and...."

I struggled to get the last part out. It had been years since I've even thought about my parents, so this was a bit of a struggle.

"They died," I finally choked out.

Armin looked at me with a shocked look.

"You see Armin, there are really dangerous animals in the ocean like sharks. Sometimes, these animals will come out and attack people."

"Oh, I'm sorry I asked."

"It's fine, just don't tell anyone about what I've told you. OK?"

Armin nodded his head.

"Now, do you mind telling me more about the outside world?"

I nodded my head. For the rest of the day, Armin and I talked about the outside world. That is until Reiner and Bertholdt came back.