Chapter 38: Mythology and sending a hint

Hato's P.O.V.

I sighed as I looked out at the inside of Wall Maria. The sun was rising and hadn't been able to sleep all night. 1. because I was sleeping on the wall again, and 2. because I was working on something. Reiner, Bertholdt, and Annie were keeping watch, so that if the Survey corps came they would know, while I sat down and pretended to be on my phone. Of course, I did have my phone out, but that was for light. It was extremely dark outside and I was trying to write a small letter. The unfortunately, Annie checked on what I was doing every few minutes, so all I was able to write was 'Help- Hato'. It didn't do much, but, if you put things together, they would understand really quickly.

When I heard footsteps coming close to me, I hid the letter in my vest pocket. By the way, the outfit I'm wearing is a white collared shirt, a blue vest, and black pants. Basically, I'm wearing my brother's old outfit, but I honestly don't mind that. It helps me remember him and Isabel, even though it's pretty hard to forget something like that, even though I already did that once. I also have the purple ribbon around my neck and my newsboy cap.

When the footsteps stopped, there was a shadow right next to me.

"So," said Annie," What's these walls like to you in your eyes?"

"Hm," I said," Like Pandora's Box was the size of Germany."

Annie looked at me confused.

"Pandora's box?"

"It's Greek mythology," I said," Oh wait, you don't know what that is, do you?"

Annie shook her head.

"Okay," I said," How do I explain this? Greece is an ancient civilization that created many of the things we use today. They also have amazing stories and structures. They also believed in many stories, which were false, but they're still fun to read. For example: There's the this God they named Athena, the Goddess of wisdom, courage, inspiration, civilization, law and justice, strategic warfare, mathematics, strength, strategy, the arts, crafts, and skill. She taught this girl how to do this specific craft I keep forgetting. But anyways, this girl thought that she was better than Athena, so she challenged her to a competition. The loser had to stop doing this craft forever. When Athena won, the girl begged to be forgiven. She didn't want to stop doing this craft, she loved it. Athena decided to punish her another way, so she turned the girl into a spider. And that's why spiders spin webs. Of course, none of it is real, they just tried to find ways to explain stuff like that."

Annie looked at her with wide eyes.

"You remembered that?"

"Of course," I said," Anyways, Pandora's box is the story of a girl who opened a box, well, actually a jar, that held all the evil in the world. But that's not all that was in there. The also had hope in it, so that, if anyone opened it, they would have a way to try and stop all of that evil."

Annie nodded her head, taking in everything I was saying.

"Basically, what I'm saying is that everything inside these walls is like those evils, and the Survey corps is hope."

"Why the survey corps?" asked Annie.

I looked at Annie and smiled.

"Because they don't know that the government is evil. If they did, they would probably rebel," I said," Although, they don't really trust the government anyways. Especially Levi."

Annie looked at me confused.

"Levi?"

"That guy does care more about cleaning then his job," Reiner commented.

"That's not true," I said," He hates titans more then most people."

"And why do you say that?"

"Because he saw his best friends, who he considered family, died because of titans," I said.

"And how do you know that?" asked Reiner.

I pouted and looked away.

"I'm not telling," I said.

Reiner frowned and looked back out at the inside of Wall Marie.

"They're coming," he said.

I looked out at the interior and saw streaks of green smoke far in the distance. I almost smiled, knowing they were coming and they were going to save me. Although, Reiner was right when he said that they didn't know that I was gone, at least, not yet. I had a plan. I quietly slid the sheet of paper from under my phone and took the pocket watch off of my neck. I pulled the ribbon from off of my neck and tied it around the paper and chain of the watch. When I finished, I slid my hands into my bag and grabbed a pocket knife and slingshot from it, which kinda surprised me. I didn't even own a pocket watch, yet it was there. This only gave me even more of a reason to think Kyubey was actually taking over my bag. Anyways, I slowly cut the rope until it was off and stood up, slingshot and pocket watch behind my back. I slowly backed up and pulled the items out from behind me.

Quickly, I opened the pocket watch, making it play this music.

I held the sling shot out and pulled the pocket watch back. Reiner, Annie, and Bertholdt looked at me with wide eyes.

"What is she....?"

Before Bertholdt could finish his question, I let go of the slingshot and launched the pocket watch out towards the Survey corps's direction. Reiner tried grabbing it as it flew over him, but it was too fast, and he was too late. When it got out of view, Reiner, Bertholdt, and Annie turned around and looked at me. I was on the very edge of the wall now, so if I wanted to escape, I could. Reiner walked up to me angrily, he obviously wan't happy.

"What you do that for?" he asked as he got closer.

I didn't answer. I just stood there, looking at the pocket knife in my hand. Reiner walked closer to me and raised his fist. Before he could throw a punch at me, I jumped back. The three of them looked at me, shocked, as I flew down to the exterior of wall Maria. As I fell, I held my legs up and cut the ropes that were around my legs. When the ropes were off, I flipped over and fell straight down towards the ground. I could hear the sound of their maneuvering gear coming from above me, but I didn't care. I needed to run and hide, even if I get killed before I do.

When I got closer to the ground, I realized my biggest flaw in this plan. I would never survive falling at that height. Why I didn't figure that out earlier is a mystery to me, but that shouldn't be something I should focus on now.

Suddenly, as I hit the ground, a bright light surrounded me and blinded everyone around me.