The Aca-Initiation - 1

Everybody had already left the theater, leaving Aubrey and Chloe alone.

Still a little bewildered from Beca's absolutely amazing performance, Chloe was now gathering all the papers on the desk in front of her, stooping every now and then to put them all in her handbag. The huge smile on her face hadn't gone away yet. 

The sound of her friend clearing her throat caught the redhead's attention, who asked "Everything's okay?", her back still turned. Aubrey didn't exactly know hot to get started since she didn't want to embarrass her best friend, so she decided to come at it sideways.

"The auditioners were pretty good, uh?", Aubrey started, acting normally, "I mean, I've seen do better during the last years but, hey, we can work on it". Chloe didn't reply but Aubrey saw her nodding, still busy with all the sheets. "The last one - that brunette - wasn't that the girl of the activities fair?", Aubrey asked nonchalantly after a short pause. Chloe turned her head in order to watch her friend in the eyes, suddenly more interested in the change of subject. Aubrey tried to remain detached by modulating her voice, "I don't even know what her name -"

"Beca", the ginger smiled at the blonde after interrupting her, her eyes shining, "Her name's Beca". Chloe had now stopped doing what she was doing.

Aubrey slightly tilted her head narrowing her eyes and pouting, the same expression policemen do in the TV shows when they are questioning a possible murderer. "Beca", the blonde repeated as if she hadn't understood, "And...How do you know it?".

A little taken aback, Chloe stuttered, "I-I just happen to know it, I guess", she shrugged her shoulders and went back to the papers so that Aubrey couldn't see the guilty face she made every time she lied. But the smile was still there. Aubrey didn't want to give up, so she continued in a less subtle way: "Okay, that I can let go, if you don't want to tell me how, there's not much I can do, am I right?", the blonde stood up, always facing her friend's back, her tone faking docility, "But this I would like to know: do you have anything to do with Beca's mind change?", she spat out the brunette's name like it was a really bad word, her brow was raised. 

Meanwhile, Chloe had finished packing up so she started looking at Aubrey but her smile had vanished: as much as the redhead would have loved to share her feelings with her friend, she hated how invasive the blonde could sometimes be. Besides, Chloe wasn't even sure of what was happening to her and whether what she was feeling was true at all, so it didn't make much sense for her to tell her best friend about Beca. 

"Why do you even care?", the redhead asked, sounding a little harsher than intended.

Surprised by the tone her friend had used, Aubrey lifted her hands as to say 'Sorry for asking', both of her eyebrows raised in confusion. Chloe started feeling guilty: she didn't want to sound too defensive but - as rare as it was - for once she didn't want to talk about her feelings. Not until she had it all figured out. Plus, the possibility that Beca could feel something similar were so low that it hurt Chloe to even think about it. 

"I'm sorry, Bree", Chloe said, "It's just that it's been a very long day and I have the test of French Lit to study for, I'm a little freaked out", she added, partially telling the truth. The redhead stood up and, after weakly smiling to Aubrey, she started walking toward the exit door Beca had come in through 30 minutes before. The blonde, now smiling again, reached for Chloe's wrist, stopping her: "I'm not mad", she said lightheartedly, "I just want to make sure that my best friend is fine". 

Moved by her friend's words, Chloe's smile filled her face, "I promise I am - See you tonight at the initiation!". And then walked away, leaving Aubrey alone in the theater. 

----------------------------------------------

Beca was in her room with her headphones on, her latest mix of Titanium playing on her computer. Kimmy Jin wasn't there so Beca had thought she could focus for a couple of hours on what she loved doing the most. But she was actually a little off: that morning she had auditioned for the Bellas - she couldn't believe she had really done it  - and she was still feeling dizzy because of it. The brunette hadn't ever thought her singing voice could be good but the smile on Chloe's face at the end of her performance with the cup had confirmed it.