Choices

The sunlight filtered through the blue curtains of Beca's room and its warmth was softly caressing the back of the brunette's head while she was still sleeping. Slowly, she opened her eyes and immediately reached for her phone: it was only 9:05 am, and the rehearsals would only be a couple of hours later. She grunted and immediately got up with the only desire of getting a shower as soon as possible. She grabbed her toiletries and rushed to the shared bathroom.

15 minutes later, Beca was already back in her room but in a better mood. There was no reason to be sad when she had two hours at her disposal to work on her mix. Besides, the sun was shining so bright that the idea of listening to her music on the quad was as appealing as ever. She put on some random clothes - a blue shirt and denim jeans - and, after grabbing her laptop and headphones, she went outside. 

The air was crisp and Beca was shivering but it wasn't a bad feeling at all. She picked a spot in the middle of the quad, beside the shadow of the biggest tree, and sat down, her computer on her lap, her headphones already on. Finally some peace. 

She had been working for 3 days on the mash-up of Release Me, by Agnes, and Bulletproof, by La Roux, and the brunette was happy to finally see her latest project taking shape. It was still imperfect, though. Her fingers were skillfully running though her keyboard in order to improve what she had already done. She was so caught up in the process that she barely noticed the shape of a person laying down a beach towel beside her. A confused Beca turned her head to see who that was. 

"Jesse?", she probed once she recognized him, "What's all this?". Jesse was carrying a duffle bag and, after taking a seat near Beca, he pulled out two juice boxes, one ugly candle and a can of Pringles. Beca was laughing, incredulous. 

"As much as I love spending time with you stacking CDs - and I do, like, more than life - I thought we could do other fun things that wouldn't make us want to kill ourselves", he said matter-of-factly while keeping pulling out stuff of his bag. 

"Tell me it doesn't have anything to do with you asking me out last week please", Beca looked at him, her eyebrows raised. The question made Jesse freeze for a second but then he smiled and answered, "Well, you told me we don't know each other - I'm here to convince you I'm not a serial killer". Beca sniggered, "Okay". 

Jesse pulled out a stack of DVDs and put them on the towel, in front of them. Beca rolled her eyes when she saw all those DVDs but Jesse didn't notice, "Jaw, E.T., Breakfast Club, Star Wars and Rocky", he instructed, "Best scored and sound-tracked movies of all time - That's what I want to do when I grow up. Score movies. Bring people to tears. Blow people's minds. Only music can do that". 

Beca was seriously impressed: as excessively verbose as Beca thought he was, Jesse sounded really sincere when he talked about what he loved. She smiled at him. "So", he continued, "What do you want to watch first?".

Surprised, Beca looked at the DVDs and furrowed a brow, "Umm... Maybe we could do something else? Like talk about my parents' divorce or go to the gynecologist?", she took a juice box and start drinking from it as if she had just said the most natural of things. Jesse looked at her, his eyes widening, "Wait, you don't like movies?", he asked, beside himself. Beca shrugged and then explained, "I mean, they're fine. But then I get bored and never make it to the end..."

"But endings are the best part!", Jesse yelled. 

"First of all, when you talk to me, you lower your voice", Beca frowned, "Secondly, you don't have to cry, okay?", she continued, her tone now ironic again, "It's just they're so predictable. The guy gets the girl, the kid sees dead people, Darth Vader is Luke's father...". Jesse couldn't believe what he had just heard, "Oh, right. You just happened to guess the biggest reveal in cinematic history".