The Flu

Beca was at the campus café with Amy. They were both sitting inside, the weather being pretty awful: it was lashing down and it had been so freezing in the latest days that half of the Bellas had got sick, Chloe and Aubrey included. The brunette had offered to take care of the redhead - she would have helped the martial blonde as well but she surely would have impolitely declined the offer - but the ginger didn't want to infect her. 

"So, you're going to Europe this summer", Fat Amy probed for the umpteenth time, still disbelieving. Beca patiently nodded, again. "Wow -- they're really generous", the Australian commented with her eyes wide open, "You two can really bond there", she continued mischievously. 

The brunette rolled her eyes, "Amy no, just don't go there, okay?", she begged her. 

"What, why?", Amy pretended not to know what she was talking about, "Do you want me to use another word?" - Beca desperately hid her face into her hands and she took that as a yes - "You two can really bang there -- Is that better?", she smiled at her own pseudo-wordplay. 

"Why am I even talking to you?", the DJ asked rhetorically, "I no longer know how to break it to you, Ams, but", she paused, trying to emphasize what she was about to say, "- between me and Chloe, there's nothing, okay? N-O-T-H-". 

Amy stopped her, "Yeah, okay, I know how it's spelled, thanks", she playfully frowned, "That ain't gonna change my mind, sheila".

Beca sighed, "Well, maybe this will: I texted Jesse and I apologized for how I behaved". 

The blonde shrugged, "So, what? Has he at least replied?" - Beca weakly shook her head - "Besides, there's more chemistry between me and a beet than between you and him -- and I don't eat vegetables, like ever", Amy gesticulated. 

"Just leave it, okay?", the brunette didn't know what else to say. Deep down she knew Amy was right but she couldn't bring herself to admit that she felt something for her best friend. After all, if she had said something and Chloe had freaked out, she would have ruined their wonderful friendship; on the other side, if Chloe had returned the same feelings, then maybe...'No, Beca, she just cares about you - Stop it, you're ridiculous', she told to herself while closing her hands in fists.

"How you want, little dark angel", Fat Amy teased, "Um, what are you doing later?", she diverted the subject. The brunette seemed to consider her answer, knowing that she was about to fall into Amy's trap, "I'm going checking up on Chloe", she sighed. 

The Australian kept acting normal, against all odds, "Still feeling sick, uh?". 

Beca raised a skeptical brow, "Yes". 

Amy nodded to herself, "Hadn't she told you not to come over?", she inquired. 

"Yeah, but who cares - semi-finals are next week, I can get sick and get back well in time, in case", Beca shrugged. 

"You're so cute", Amy leaned her elbows on the table and rested her face on her hands, in awe.

 "That's what friends do, genius", the brunette stood up for herself. 

The blonde nodded condescendingly, "You're right" - Beca smiled, satisfied - "That's why you're also checking up on Aubrey, Stacie, Jessica and Ashley, right?", an evil, victorious smile appeared on Amy's face. 

The DJ gave in and put her head on the table, "Shut up".

--------------------------------------

"Come in", a husky voice invited Beca inside. 

"How are you feeling?", the brunette probed while moving toward Chloe and sitting on her bed. The redhead was tucked under her covers and her face was as red as her hair, "I'd feel better knowing that I'm not infecting you". Beca ignored her and placed her hand on her forehead, "You're burning up".