21. Both Feet In

Him...

"Come on, man, get up already. We're late. Max and Dad called." Jake woke me up.

"What time is it?" I yawned and rubbed my eyes, dreading the day before it began.

"It's eleven already. Come on." He nudged me.

"Shit. Mr. Sean's meeting." I jumped up instantly. We quickly changed into two of Jake's suits then left to work.

I really wanted to see Emma before I go to work. I miss her, even though I have no idea what the fuck I should say to her. How am I gonna simply just lie to her? This is going to be damn hard. Even though she made it clear that she didn't want something to happen between us now, I still don't think she'll like it much if she knew that I woke up naked in Lauren's bed.

God, I wish I can remember what happened. I seriously have no idea what the fuck happened, except that when I woke up I freaked the hell out. I wore my clothes quickly and left Lauren's place without waking her up, feeling both disgusted and ashamed. Jake is right though, even if we didn't sleep together, Lauren will say otherwise. I don't know what to do. I know I screwed up, but it's only best if I don't tell Emma just yet. At least till I figure everything out.

"Sorry we're late." Jake apologized once we entered the meeting room, and I knew it was going to be one long meeting. After three long hours of discussions and debates about our new stocks, we were finally done. The four of us stayed and chatted a little but then everyone went to his work. I entered my office, thinking about Emma for the hundredth time, and how badly I wished the day would end already, when Kayla came in.

"What is it?" I asked, irritated.

"Ms. Stinson is here to see you, sir." She said in a formal tone.

"Emma?" I jumped up. "Let her in."

What am I going say? Sorry. Say sorry that you tried to kiss her.

But I'm not sorry, god dammit, and I won't quit trying. Call me pathetic or stupidly persistent, or even say that I can't take a hint, I don't care. The only thing I know for sure is that I want her to be mine, in a way I've never wanted a woman in my life. Dad was right all along when he told me that one day I will meet a woman who will change my mind in ways I never thought possible, and I wouldn't be able to let this woman go.

"Hey." Emma finally came in, wearing a beautiful blue t-shirt that accentuated her eyes, and light ripped jeans. She shut the door as I took her in.

God, I've missed her, but she does not look well.

"Are you okay?" I walked around from behind my desk.

"Yes, yes. I'm fine. I'm great. I'm good. How are you?" She cleared her throat, letting me know she was as nervous as I.

"I'm good." I leaned on my desk, keeping a good distance between us, even though I wanted nothing more than to have her as close to me as possible.

None of us spoke for a while so I decided to go first. "Emma, I'm--"

"No, wait, listen to me first." She blinked those beautiful big eyes at me and I automatically nodded. "Okay, here it goes. You have every right to be mad at me. I know that, and I'm sorry that I stopped the kiss, but... I don't know what to think, Dean. You are supposedly my boss now, and your father chose me explicitly so that I wouldn't sleep with you." She reminded me as she took a deep breath to steady herself before she went on.

"However, I will be truthful with you, Dean; I'm having ambivalent feelings here. I mean, one minute I feel like you want me and you flirt and all, and I feel my heart fluttering. But then the next I find myself worried and I start building this wall around me. I don't know which feeling I should focus on or which feeling you want me to focus on. I mean, I honestly don't know what you want with me, and I'm scared of what I do want." She explained, making my heart pound harder.