Chapter 3

Chapter by syaminhazam

[EDITED]

I look back and my eyes widen to see who it is.

It is the same Secretary from the office, Sky building.

Her once neat blonde hair is now messy. She was panting, catching her breath. Grabbing her hand in mine, I lead her to a bench near us. Her hand on her chest, as her other hand on the bench, steadying herself. She looks young, maybe early 20's. Her almond shaped hazel eyes fixed on mine as if she is angry with me.

Regina, that's written on the tag pinned to her blouse. Her brown eyes look at me, "Who doesn’t own a mobile phone in this age of technology,?" She asked me. "My grandma owns an I-phone" she grumbled.

Shrugging my shoulder, I answered her "I don't," I do have other priorities than a phone right now. Number one on the list is Leonard, and I don't find any reason for having one.

She slapped her forehead, "That's the reason I have run after you, crossing all the road," her eyes glowered into mine with a hint of anger.

Squinting my eyes at her, I asked her "Why your boss already gave me the answer,"

"There is a job, but by the time I got the message you have already left the building. I was looking in your resume, trying to find a way to locate you.. mujer estupida (stupid woman)… no telephone number, just house address" she stated.

Did she call me stupid? Anger building up in my body. There is no reason for her to call me stupid. Yes, I don't have a phone, but that's not the ground for her to call me stupid. Hold on, there is a job, for me?. This must be some kind of joke, first, he told me there is no job opening for me. Then suddenly his secretary runs after me to deliver the news that there is a job for me. I can forgive her for calling me stupid if this is true.

"Job, for me?" I look at her under my lashes. I need confirmation.

"Eres sordo (are you deaf)? No escuchaste (didn't you listen)? There is a job for you.. are you deaf," her eyes narrowed on me.

"Then, what are we waiting for," with renewed energy, I carried Leonardo in my arm and walks toward the office building, which I left a few minutes ago.

Regina then accompanied me upstairs, to level 27. The smile didn't leave my face as I walk out from the elevator and stands in front of a room with a name carved on it. Marcel Santiago, CEO. Regina calls out Leonard, asking him to sit with her.

"Regina, puedes cuidar de mi Hijo? (can you take care of my son?)" I asked her. Her eyes widened.

"I did learn a little bit of Spanish," I told her.

Leonard looks up to me as if he needs confirmation. Squatting down, I told him to stay with Regina as I need to talk to the boss inside the room with a promise that it won't take a long time. Straightening my skirt, and myself I knocked on the door.

"Come in" the voice from inside.

Looking back at Leonard with a smile on my face, I opened the door. This is my second chance, I told myself.

There, sitting on a high chair is the man that was about to change my life. His eyes studied my resume again. The glasses on him makes him looks mature. Silence in the room, only the sound of him flipping the resume can be heard. I was still standing as he never asks me to sit down.

"So, you love to play the piano?" he asked, his eyes never leave the piece of paper in front of him.

"Yes, sir" I answered him.

What does my love of playing the piano have to with my job? Sky enterprise owns several high-end restaurants with two of it awarded two Michelin star. Taking away his glasses, he puts them down on the table.

"Oh! Sit down please" he motioned to the chair in front of me.

"Did you attend classes, for the piano?" he threw another question at me.

Nodding, I told him about the classes that I attended. The confusion inside my heart elevated with every question that he asked.

"Sir, mind if I ask you, why is the question about piano?"

His eyes widened at my question, "written here, you love to play the piano." He paused shortly.

Biting his lower lip, he continued, "It might do no justice to your degree, but.. will you take the position as a pianist at one of my restaurants?" his eyes fixed on mine.

A pianist, with a degree in accountancy?. In the past, I might have declined the offer. If this is the only job that can provide enough food for Leonard, I will accept it.

"You will be waitressing during day time and a pianist at night if you agree. I will ask Regina to prepare the employment letter and you start tonight," he stated staring right into my soul. "If you agree, if not, the door is just behind you," he finishes his word.

"Arrogant" I mumbled under my breath. Working with this man may be like hell but I will endure the hell if that's what written on my fate.

Putting my best hand forward, I shake his hand, "I agree, sir,"

Turning my heel, I walk towards the door.
"It's Mr Marcel for you after this,"

Closing the door behind me, I marched towards the table where Regina sits with Leonard. She showed me a paper, the employment contract. My eyes fall on the salary detail. It's good as a starting point. Signing the employment contract, I feel proud of myself. Finally, I can provide something for Leonard. I can put him in a kinder, may not be the best but he can at least learn better.

You can never provide for yourself
You are only one weak woman, what can you do?

Woman,

The voices that once haunted me, putting my confidence on the floor came back.

Guess what? this woman is standing up, working and maybe providing. Not just for myself, but for my son, Leonard too.

Today is my first day of work and I forget to ask one thing, the most important thing.

"Regina, can I bring Leonard to work?"

"Oh, Mr Marcel already told me that, in case you ask, yes you can. there is a room that Leonard can stay, but not forever.. just until you find a place for him,"

Great, I told myself.

🐾🐾🐾

How's the chapter goes?

Don't forget to vote and comment.