Chapter 31

Chapter by syaminhazam

[UNEDITED]

“Madam, thank you for your donation for the church,” the priest said. He is standing on bob left side. I just nod my head.

My throat felt so dry as Marcel stops just few feet from Bob. The priest walks to the men in suit and he thanks them too as he makes his exit.

Livy eyes stares deep into my eyes with her stern face as she walks past me.

Marcel was talking to Bob as i walk to them. I cant hear what are they talking about as they talked in a hushed tone but not angry ones.

Clutching Leo hand into mine, i step closer to Marcel putting my brightest smile on my face. My heart is pounding behind my chest.

“Goodbye Miss Ella, please do visit my small diner nearby if you have time,” Bob said smiling.

He lowered his head as he walked past Marcel and he accidently hit my shoulder. “Bench no 3, under it, be careful,”

“Sorry Miss Ella,” he said as he leaves the church.

My eyes darted right and left as I walk to the bench that Bob told me a while ago. Peering under the bench, I took the small box. My heart wants to check the content right there and right now but I can’t. Sliding the box into my big beg, I carefully walk towards Marcel who is still playing with Leo.

“Let’s go” I told him.

As we hop into his car, I caught a glimpse of a shadow at my mother’s grave. Whoever the shadow belongs to, waved at me. My heart drops into my stomach.

I looked again at the same place. This time nothing. Is my sight playing t me or its really was a shadow waving at me?. Was the shadow really waving at me or it was just my feeling? My hallucination?

“Stop the car,” I yelled and when Marcel did, i ran towards my mothers as fast as I could. I must make sure what I saw. It is driving me crazy.

I tumbled and fall few times as I ran.

My breath laboured as I stood in front of my mum tombstone. My eyes widen as tears trickles down my cheek. There lay few stalks of yellow daisies. In this whole wide world, the one person that I knew  likes yellow daises, is him. Only him.

The yellow daises confirms my greatest fear. He is here and whatever Livy says, it is either a lie or they are hiding something from me.

Walking back, I saw Marcel standing outside his car with a crying Leo. Leo!

The realization struck me hard. I left him while running away. His name didn’t even crossed my mind while I running for the shadow of my past nor his safety.

What was I thinking running like a mad woman just now?

“Sorry darling, mummy thought,”
My word of comfort was cut shortly by Marcel hissing “What were you running after?, you was so fast we couldn’t catch you,”he swatted my hand which were to take Leo from him.

His question silenced me. Marcel puts down Leo at the backseat and asked me to take my normal seat, beside him. I should be glad that Marcel is here, without him I might disclose Leo to something harmful with my attitude today.

“Did you follow me here, Marcel?” I questioned him as the car engine roared to life. He blinked his eyes as he focused on the road in front of us. He didn’t answer my question.

After few minutes of him not answering my question, I turned my body facing him with both my hand folded on my chest. “Did you follow me back there?”

His jaw clenched as his knuckles  grew white. I looked to where Leo seated. He is fast asleep. “Yes, I did and you know what I’m glad I did that today,” he seethed.  His glares turned thin, narrowed on me.

The look he gave me reminded me back to the event which changed my name, from Valerie to Ella. That look was the look I got from the officers as they take me in, revealing my husband truth that I already knew and despises of. There was nothing new.

The only thing that got me scared like a sacredly cat that day and now is the way their eyes look at me. Their eyes full of anger and the way they scanned my face like I’m a filth that they are going to throw away in a dustbin together with the other.

They gave me a choice which not a choice actually. Both are like death sentence to me. They make me to choose between the devil and the deep sea. I will be dead in both.

“Without me there today, you might loose Leo under your own watch,” he banged the dashboard which brought me back out of my reverie.

Collecting my strength and confidence, I threw another question at him which changes the way his eyes looking at me. “Why?, Why did you follow me?”

His face soften, so did his gaze.

“Remember the night at the gala? The question and the media?, well-,” he stutters.

My gaze pinned on him, waiting for him to complete his sentence. “Well, they printed it on today’s newspaper and your safety came to my mind, so I came here and saw you getting on a cab and I followed,”

“You told the media that I’m your life, what you expect,” I yelled at him.

“You, the most eligible bachelor pinned your heart to me, a normal waitress, a mother of one child, what you expect? You have just given the media the juice that they need,” I poked his chest hard.

Tears streamed down my cheek the second time today. My face on the newspaper, it spell bad news. It was just not because the whole restaurant know what our relationship is but it was also for him to get info on me.

This was one of the reason I don’t have any social media.

“You have just ruined my four life in solitude Marcel,” I whispered under my breath as his car stop at my apartment.

“I know, you don’t like all these attention and I’m sorry but that day that duke, he angered me and make me do the unthinkable thing,” he said placing his hand on top of mine, caressing it slowly.

The situation is getting worse and I have a feeling that from this moment, I must count all my step and be careful about it.

Unlocking the house door, Marcel walks in with a sleeping Leo in his arm. Slowly he lowered  him on the bed and he walks to the kitchen to cook something for us.

Grabbing the small box that Bob left for me, I dashed into the bathroom. Tearing the box, a few newspaper clipping falls on the floor with a note. Picking up the note with my trembling fingers, i read every words that were written.

“They are lying. He ran away from the hospital with the pretext of having food poisoning. Lay low. I will try to move you away. We have a mole”

My hearts sinks on the bottom sea. What shall I do now?. Run again?. 

🐾🐾🐾