Chapter 11

Chapter by syaminhazam

[EDITED]

Ella's POV

“Ella,” Joe's voice sounded from the back.

I have just changed into my uniform and locked the locker when he called my name out. He was leaning on the doorframe with a pen clipped to his ear.

“Yes, Joe…anything?” I responded, smiling at him.

Joe never step his foot in the staff room unless there is something serious that he needs to deliver.

“The boss is calling you up in to his room, near the VIP balcony,” his finger pointing the balcony on the second floor.

“Why?”

Joe shrugged his shoulder and walks out of the room.

Rubbing my temple, I think of all the possibilities of the reasons on why Marcel wants to see me as early as this. Only one thing crossed my mind, the event last week.

I came back to the restaurant with the cab leaving Marcel behind. He was not happy about it and he showed it clearly to everyone on that day.

He stormed in when he reached the restaurant and locked himself inside his office until the time to close the restaurant. Leo was asking for him when I was getting ready for my turn to play the piano.

I had to lie to Leo, telling him that his buddy was not feeling well on that day. Leo being a small child insisted that he should see his buddy, to pass him medicine. That's what I was worried about, the bond between them.

I rejected his feeling, but Leo is just a small child, he won’t understand what I'm feeling.

However, that what I requested from him before closing the cab door. The memory of that night came back, clouding my mind as I climb the step to the second floor.

That night, I played the piano but I felt empty inside. Playing the piano was something I look forward to everyday at work.

The waitressing job was tiring and almost draining, not forgetting the filthy man with lustful eyes or intention eye-raping me.

The night however was different. I enjoyed playing the piano not just because it makes me soar high into the sky, feeling the breeze of air touching my soul with every note I pressed. It is also because of him, looking down at me while cradling Leo in his arm.

When my finger touched the keypads, the music resounded through the hall to every corner but it never reached my heart, I didn’t soar high up as always. Something was different since that night until yesterday.

It was different without him looking down on me or clapping his hand with his biggest grin plastered on his face, almost giving me unconditional support. Without him, everything feels empty.

The crowd cheered me as always, praising me after every performance. The crowd cheers and praises however can’t match his single clap and the recognition I saw in his eyes. Lying to him about my feeling was the best decision I’ve made.

I rarely play or talk to Leo this week, as by the time I pick him up from Miss Louisa house he is already fast asleep. Every morning, however I make a point to talk to him and inquire about new friends that he makes there. Marcel, buddy as he fondly calls him is his favorite topic.

How do I tell him about Marcel?. He always tries to talk to me during the lunch break but as always, I’ll be sitting with Mel. Mel already has some suspicion that our boss, Marcel may be attracted to me, which I dismissed, telling him that I’m a mother of one child, joking with her that Marcel maybe looking at her, which always receives a hearty laugh from her.