CHAPTER 21

Chapter 21

"What did Cameron want to talk to you about?" I ask LA. It is currently recess, and the only time I've got LA all to myself since this morning.

LA stares at his plate, "Alpha Black wants me to accompany Cameron for a trip"

"A trip?" I frown.

"Yup. We leave tomorrow afternoon" He takes a bite of his hamburger. "We'll be back by Sunday evening... in time for his birthday bash"

"Are you fine?" I look at him closely, noticing how he sounds more confused than ever.

"I am" He sighs.

"Tell me, mono" I rub his shoulder.

He swallows, and says, "I am just feeling... low, ya know?"

"Unh huh... You should let Knox out" I advise softly and he sighs.

"I know"

"LA"

"Shifting is getting harder for me everyday, Artemis" He confesses. "Every day that passes, my brithday comes closer and he retreats back..." He trails off. "He doesn't think that a life without a Mate is a life worth living"

I clasp his hand. "You don't know for sure that you'll not find your Mate, LA"

"I don't have a Mate, Art. I don't" He says it, like he is stating a fact.

"You can't say for sure. I mean sure we're hybrids, but outta the two of us-"

"What were you doing last night?" He asks abruptly and I get that he doesn't want to talk about it.

And I respect it. Mates have been a bad topic for us to converse on anyway.

"You won't believe it, but I think I had a moonlight dinner with Zeus last night" I gush, my voice an excited whisper.

"Zeus? Cameron's wolf?" He looks at me with a twinkle in his eyes.

I nod my head vigorously. "Yup. He dragged a deer for us to share and...." And I continue to rant about last night's events to him, until S and Victoria join us.

LA is my best friend, so obviously he knows about my history with the to-be Alpha and he gives me a knowing look, but doesn't comment on it, because of the audience.

"I wish my hand breaks" S says randomly and my eyes jump on her.

"What? Why would you say that?" I ask whilst Victoria gapes at her.

"So that I could skip training" She sighs and I roll my eyes.

LA on the other hand has some very colourful ideas.

"I could break it for you, sweetheart" He offers with a smile and S flips him off.

"I can see why she'd push you in front of a speeding car" And they start bickering with Victoria piping in, backing S up.

My eyes flit in the cafeteria and finally settle on Cameron. He sits surrounded by his usual group of obnoxious friends. Tyler, Alice and Taylor share his table.

I don't know most of the kids names who are sitting with them, but I've seen them around.

I've been staring for one solid minute before Cameron looks up from his plate, and his eyes catch mine staring. The guy beside him is telling some story which involves a lot on hand movements, but Cameron's focus is solely on me.

He picks up an apple and bites into it, his eyes still staring into mine and I feel my mouth dry and the bottom of my belly clench.

My eyes are transfixed on his lips, watching them intently as he chews.