CHAPTER 35

Song- The Show by Lenka

Chapter 35

I pretend to be surprised on seeing Alice and Cameron ready with a backpack each when we go to bid goodbye to the Alpha couple and take more information about the mission.

"What are you two doing here?" I play the role of the clueless girl and from the way everyone in the room tenses, I can say that I am a satisfactory actress.

The only thought that comforts me is Aunt Delilah is not here in Alpha Ulysses' study and something tells me she is more clueless about this mission than I am.

"They are accompanying you on this mission" Uncle Lys says. LA and S are beside me and I pretend to think it over before I say, "I didn't know they were on Ed's payroll"

"We are not" Alice jumps in.

I cock my head and blink my eyes, confused.

"So..?"

"I am allotting this mission to your team, Artemis" Uncle Lys explains. "And I have decided that they will accompany you"

"May I ask why?" I ask even as Mia tells me that Alice is one of the best tracker and Cameron has his brute strength.

"You will get your regular pay, if you are worried about that" Uncle Black says instead. I wasn't worried about that, but not that he pointed that out, I am kinda relieved.

"Okay" I let it slide. If anything, I am not nosy, and I am kinda done with their bullshit. "So what were the instructions?"

"Alice will be the leader-" Uncle Black is cut off by LA's outraged, "What?!"

"Is there a problem Lucifer?" Alpha Black asks sternly.

"In our missions, Artemis always leads" He doesn't back down. "Same with ours" S says.

Alpha Lys stares at me. "Will you be uncomfortable with Alice leading?" He asks me.

I shrug. "You should ask Cameron that"

All of them turn to stare at me with confused gazes.

"He is an Alpha. He will have a problem following orders" I state, "Not me" I explain further, "I have been on quite a few missions with Sea Bas as the leader"

"But tha was before... When we were forced to pair with Sea Bas and Lynn" LA argues. "Sea Bas knew what he was doing and we knew he had our back-"

"Are you implying that I won't have your back?!" Alice glares at him.

"I'm implying that you'll be the first one to run when trouble strucks" He glares at her.

Before they can continue, I say in a low voice "LA"

He bows his head on cue, expossing his neck and I only feel slightly bad for using that tone on him. I had once promised myself that I would use that tone on him only when we were on a mission, to show him I am the dominant one out of the two of us.

I hear Cameron suck in a breath and my eyes involuntarily seek him, only to see him staring at me with blazing eyes.

I quickly look away from him and my eyes jump on Alice, whose head is bowed sideways too. I frown.

Alpha Ulysses is giving me the same look that Cameron is, only there is confusion in his eyes.

And beside me, S too has her neck exposed.

What in hell? What did I miss?

"What is up guys?" I ask cautiously and am met with all their confused gazes.