CHAPTER 28

Chapter 28

When I regain concious, I am in a spare room in the pack house with the scary man, aka my Pa sitting beside me.

"Hello, Artemis" He says quietly from where he is sitting on the edge of the bed.

"Pa" I nod and start to sit upright. He scowls. His eyes go to my hand and narrow there. I clench my fist, then hiss when it hurts.

It is slightly red now.

"Lay back" He orders, but I ignore it and get up anyway.

"Any reason why you are here?" I don't beat around the bush.

He scowls. "I can't check up on my daughter?" He asks and I give him a sickly sweet smile.

"In your dreams, Pa" It hurts me to be so frank with him, but he has to know that I know just where I lie in his priority list.

"Artemis-"

"Drop it, Pa. Let's talk about something that matters to you? Like how your golden godson ran away from Spain and came all the way here stalking me" My hand hurts even more at the thought of Ashallyn and I wish I were brave enough to kill that bastard. I'd still have 99 problems, but at least he'll not be one.

"He didn't run away from Spain-" I snort at my Pa's blatant lie.

"Yeah right"

"Technically, he ran from France" Pa finishes his sentence and I roll my eyes.

"Of course. Also can you explain the technicality behind him being here and assaulting me in particular? Also, I am pretty sure Auntie Del would like to know the technicality behind how her assumed dead son returned back to life and came here 18 years later" I give a tight lipped smile to my Pa who shakes his head at me.

"Don't sass me, young lady" He tsks. "How's the hand?" He asks and I shrug. "Feels like I dipped it in the oil that Satan uses to bath or something"

"Demons don't bathe in oil, Artemis" Pa sighs and I shrug again.

"Then how are their bodies so slick? Huh?" I question and then realizing that we are going off the subject, I ask him, "Where's Ashallyn?"

A dark look crosses his face, and he says, "Cameron is taking care of him"

I suck in a breath and stare intently at my Pa's face.

"I didn't know Ron knew about his existence" I really thought that Uncle Lys kept it a secret from him.

"I didn't know either" Pa sighs and I feel my heart beat faster. There's something in his voice...

"Pa? Will you answer this honestly?" The fear in my voice makes him narrow his eyes at me.

"Yes?"

"Do you really think Ashallyn is stronger than Cameron?" A haunted look crosses my Pa's eyes giving me the answer I seek before he speaks.

"Ashallyn is... was supposed to be stronger than Cameron" Pa whispers, "But I don't know anything for sure now"

"What time is it?" I ask him, nit wanting to think much on what he implied.

Pa peeks at his watch and says, "8 o'clock... And we should join the others in the ground before they end up wiping out all the food and cake. Can't forget about the cake..." He trails off, his eyes blazing and I smile, knowing that this conversation is at the back of his head now that food has come into the picture.

🙈🙈🙈

The moment I step in the backyard, Auntie Del is on me. She takes me in a tight hug that nearly breaks my ribs.