CHAPTER 41

Chapter 41

Everyone is staring at the twins, or more specifically at Ashallyn, who shouted that word, mate, and I flinch when his eyes fall on me.

What the fuck?! I am not his fucking Mate!

I glare at him, but on a closer inspection, I see that he, himself is looking around with a confused expression.

"Where?" Sea Bas asks him as he steps forward. He turns to stare at me, silently asking me if I am the one Ashallyn meant, but I shake my head no.

I don't feel any pull towards him, or any other person in this room as a matter of fact.

"Maybe you are his mate" LA tells Sea Bas and though Alice and Julian snicker, I don't find it funny. The two of them are indeed close, and let's face it, this will not be the first homosexual pair in the werewolf society... As a matter of fact, I for one would love to see two Alpha-born males paired together by the moon goddess.

Sea Bas it seems is not fazed either, because he takes a whiff in the air and shakes his head. "Not mine" There is something close to disappointment in his voice.

I do feel bad for him. He's been looking for a mate for too long, and once he'd confessed in me that he wouldn't mind whether his mate was a male or a female. All he wanted was somebody to call as 'his'. Somebody, who'd openly lay claim on him in return.

"It's neither of you" Ashallyn's voice is strained. Pained. "But I swear I can feel my Mate"

"You're just imagining things now" Uncle Ron tells him softly.

"Pathetic" Cameron scoffs as he walks out of the circle. Ashallyn looks like someone has physically wounded him, his twin's words hitting him that hard.

I glare at the future Alpha of my pack, and don't bother to keep the disdain out of my eyes.

"Let's go take a walk, Lyn" Sea Bas offers when he notices the slump shoulders of his closest friend. "It will clear your head"

Unseeingly, Ashallyn obeys, walking past me and to the hidden door, and despite everything that has happened, despite all the drama that he has stirred, I feel my heart ache for him.

Only when he is out, and S materialises beside me does realization hit me.

Oh Moon Goddess, what are you playing at?

"He is mine" S whispers as she falls on her knees.

***

"Happy Birthday Art" S breaks the silence that has enveloped us all and on cue, all eyes turn on me. Even Cameron's.

As a matter of fact, he is staring at me intently, and when I meet his gaze, something stirs in me. I frown, trying to figure out what just happened, when LA comes in my line of vision, blocking Cameron's face.

I want to growl at him, but I quell the urge and instead turn to S.

"What are you gonna do?" I ask her.

"Well, I was planning a day at the spa, where we could get massages and manicures and pedicures and anything that $358 can buy, followed by a night of Netflix..." She trails of when she sees my raised brows.

"She meant about Lyn and you being Mates" LA clarifies and she sighs.

She looks around, before her eyes finally settle on me, and what I see in them makes me feel sorry for my friend. She looks utterly lost.

"What do I do?" She asks me.

For once, I don't have an answer. I mean come on, what do I know about mates? I don't even have one for crying out loud.