CHAPTER 43

Chapter 43

"I am coming with y'all to Little West" Sebastian announces and I can't find it in myself to remark on it. I stay silent as Uncle Ron opens the portal for us to go back home.

"Really?! That is so cool!" LA whoops, excited enough for all of us.

I feel eyes on me, and I don't even have to look up to see whose they are. He's been staring at me ever since he joined us here, after his chat with the Queen.

Does he know that I know?

I feel sick all of a sudden. He knew all along that he was my mate, and he didn't so much as said a word to me. And cherry on the cake is that my shameless beast accepted him on my behalf, without so much as considering the fact that he has been low-key bullying us ever since we came back from Spain.

"Who's going first?" Uncle Ron asks and desperate to get away from him and be alone with my thoughts, I walk towards the now bright wall where the portal is and wordlessly allow it to swallow me.

Once the portal spits me out to the hotel room, I stomp towards the bathroom and lock myself in.

My vision blurs and the floor seems to tilt, and before I can fall and break my neck, I clutch the shower knob, turning on the cold water. Sliding down to the floor, I pull my knees to my chest and bury my head, feeling lonely all of a sudden.

For a pitiful second, I think to myself- maybe being mates with Ashallyn would have been the better option, then laugh to myself, because I can never imagine myself with Ashallyn that way.

'You're being pathetic' Mia deigns to speak with me. I ignore her scornful voice and instead concentrate on the water pelleting on my skin, stinging. The harsh pain of the cold water is delightful to me right now.

'He's our mate! Our gift from the Moon Goddess!' She snarls, 'what did you expect me to do when I realized that he was our mate? Play ignorant until you convinced yourself to stop being a coward and embrace the truth?!'

When I don't say anything, she repeats herself, 'HE is our mate! Our other half! The Moon Goddess gave him to us to love and to cherish!'

I laugh at that. 'Like he has loved us and cherished us all this time?' I ask bitterly, my mind flashing to all the horrid things he has done to me, to all the awful words he has spat at me.

I feel Mia flinch at the onslaught of memories and realizing that I am hurting her, I try to pull a wall between us, but she is not having it.

'Oh no, you don't!' She snaps. 'I am done with you being an imbecile. He is OUR MATE! OURS' she huffs, 'All this time, you were convinced that we didn't have a mate, and following your lead, I never allowed myself to dream for one...' Her voice has gone awfully soft, which I find more annoying than when she is screaming.

'The guilt trip is not going to work' I snap at her. 'He knew all along that he was our mate, and he didn't so much as say a peep to us, let alone treat us with the love and respect that mates should'

'He must have his reasons' she says pathetically and I growl at her, 'Like you had yours in accepting him? Did you forget what he sees you as?' I taunt her. 'Did you forget what he thinks of you? That awful name he calls us?'

'Don't' she begs me not to say it, but guess what? I am not going to allow her to live in a happy bubble where everything is nice and sundry. Not when she has single-handedly manipulated mine.

'Hybrid' I hiss at her, 'A being that shouldn't have been born according to the rules of nature'

She starts to pull a wall now, and as a parting shot, I spit at her, 'The most probable reason that he didn't tell us that we were his mate is because he is ashamed to be mated to a hybrid, and was probably going to reject us before we realized'