CHAPTER 57

Chapter 57

HAYDEN'S POV

"Do you have something to say to me, Beta?" I ask Damon, because he's been staring at me hesitantly for the past week. I am sure I know what he wants to ask.

"Uh... Have you heard anything from Luna Delilah?" He asks.

I smile sadly, "No"

"It's been a month, Hades. More than a week past the three weeks she asked from Lys" The stress in his voice is identical to the one I feel.

"I know"

"What do we do?"

"Why would either of you do anything?" Tulia cuts in. My mate is beside her, and they both stride in to take their place on our laps.

I hug Becca and breathe in her scent to calm myself down.

"Alpha Black seems normal to me" Becca muses.

"Yeah" Tulia agrees but Damon shakes his head.

"He may behave like his usual self but the man is wearing himself down. He barely touches his food, and every night, instead of sleeping, he is at the borders, waiting for his mate in the name of patrolling" Damon shares with them.

"He hasn't shifted into Asher even once ever since Del left" I add and I see both females' eyes widen.

We are all silent for a minute, before Becca asks, "What do you think will happen if Del can't forgive him?"

I tighten my hold, because even thinking about it makes me feel sick with fear for my nephew.

"If Luna Delilah doesn't forgive Lys" Damon says, "then this pack will be lead by a reluctant Alpha"

"Why does Cameron have to bear the consequence of everyone's actions?" Tulia asks, but none of us have an answer for her.

*

ULYSSES' POV

"I am not coming back, Dad" Cameron says firmly from the other side of the phone.

"Cameron Zeus Black" I put my Alpha command behind my words, but I know it won't affect him much, "your pack needs you"

"My pack needs me?" He scoffs, "More like you want to go chase Mom and want me to make sure the pack is safe while you are gone"

"If you know that, then why can't you just come already?" I snarl.

"Because Mom will come back to you Dad" He whispers, "and then everything will be alright for you, but the same won't happen for me"

The sadness in his voice makes me feel like shit for even asking, but I've been away from my Mate for too long. I need to go to her if she won't come to me.

"Cameron-"

"Dad, my Mate and I don't have a future together, I know that" he states, "but I don't want my mate to not have a future at all because of me, so please. Please don't ask this of me" He begs.

"Cameron please" I whisper, "Please son"

"I always listen to you dad, but I think this time you should listen to me" He tells me, "Stay put and wait. If Mom is not back in two days, I will come back"

"But-"

"Sorry Dad, but I gotta go now. I'll call you back in two days, okay?"

"Son?"

"Yes Dad?"

"I love you" I say and hang up, because I know he will never return the words back. Because I don't deserve it.