CHAPTER 40

Chapter 40

Julius pauses all of a sudden, and the lot of us come to a halt behind him respectively.

"This is the Queen's private Manor" He says and I am tempted to ask him where? Because I cannot see anything different here.

"Only the creatures of the underworld can see it" Juju murmurs sensing my confusion and I nod. That makes sense. Somewhat.

"She's expecting you all, but still, please remember that you are in front of Her Majesty, and be gracious" Julius says, staring at me and I want to stick my tongue out at him, but I don't. Instead, I just nod solemnly.

Julius knocks on where I assume the door is, and on cue, the bright light in front of us diminishes to reveal a lavishly decorated lobby. Now this is what I call a lobby...

"Nice" S whistles and she is the first one of all of us to move and go inside.

Juju and LA follow her lead and Alice, Cameron and I are the last ones in. My heart is galloping in my chest as soon as I step in the room and that bad feeling in my stomach is making itself known.

I stare at the others' faces to see if any of them are feeling out of odds too, but all of them have a look of wonder on their faces, even Juju and Julius. All, except the future Alpha. He just seems bored.

I swallow and turn to Julius, "You look like you're here for the first time too"

"This is my 4th time here" He confesses "And every time I come, the décor is different"

"The last time it was goth, now it is urban" He adds. I look around and just when my eyes fall on the staircase, a woman wearing a chic black skirt and white blouse appears at the top of it.

She is the Queen?

She doesn't look like a Queen to me. Much less the Queen of the Underworld. An office goer? Sure. Queen? Doubtful.

"Your Majesty" Julius announces and gives a bow, Juju mimicking his older brother and the rest of us just standing awkwardly.

"How many times have I told you not to bow before me when we are not in the court, kids?" The lady asks in a low voice as she descends the stairs. Her voice is husky, as if she smokes cigarettes on a daily basis.

Her eyes survey us and narrow at me for a bit before stopping at Alice.

"I see you found your soulmate, Julian" She whispers with a smile that looks fake to me. "Congratulation" once again she surveys Alice from head to toe, before shifting her attention to Cameron. Neither Julian nor Alice thank her.

"You look so much like your mother" She comments and Cameron in his usual fashion dismisses her with a nod.

Next she stares at LA and maybe it is just my imagination, but I see the light in her eyes dim. As if she can see inside him... and doesn't like what she sees.

LA squirms and the Queen is quick to shift her eyes to S, and they stat stuck there, as if she just can't peel them off her. S, on the other side is busy taking in her surroundings, her face conveying absolute awe as she gapes at the infrastructure.

"Where is Dad?" Juju asks and his voice breaks whatever spell the Queen was under and allows her to tear her eyes away from my blond oblivious friend.

"He's gone to fetch some guests" She says.

"Guests?" Juju frowns, "aren't they already here?"

"We have a few more people coming" The Queen tells him and though he looks confused, he doesn't questions her.