CHAPTER 63

CHAPTER 63

CAMERON's POV

"So she's okay?" Leah asks from the phone.

"Hmm"

"And the two of you haven't..."

"Mind your own business" I growl which makes her chuckle.

"Just say you're scared and go Cammy"
"Don't call me that" I hiss which I realize was a bad move after the words left my mouth.

"Why Cammy? Truth hurting you Cammy?" I don't reply to her taunting which makes her turn a bit more serious, "You do realize there's nothing holding you back now, right? I'm going to be the next Oracle once the Old Hag dies... might as well start wooing your mate so you and Art can get your happily ever after sooner rather than later..." she trails off.

I turn to stare at Artemis sleeping beside me, holding tightly onto my bare torso, her mere touch making my skin aching for more and let out a hollow laugh.

"One more kill from me, and she'll lose Mia if we take this any further" I tell Leah.

"But I-"

"We still haven't found your partner Leah. The odds are NOT in our favor, remember that" I know my words hurt her, but I'm just stating facts.

"Besides that, I've hurt her too much. She deserves someone better" saying that out loud hurts me physically, Zeus growling at me in the back of my head, but then again, it's a fact.

"Seeing the two of you makes me lowkey wish I never find my partner" Her voice is so soft, I'm convinced she didn't mean to say it out loud.

I decide to ignore that statement and instead ask her, "How long is her heat gonna last?"

"Three days. Her heat lasts three days"

"So you'll be back the day after tomorrow?"

"Nah, technically I'll be back tomorrow. It's already a new day you idiot" she snickers before hanging up.

I sigh watching my phone screen turn dark, my mind running to dark places.

There's no guarantee that we'll find Leah's partner. There's no guarantee Leah will be the next oracle. There is no guarantee that Artemis will be safe.

Fuck. This is all so fucked up.

I shouldn't have stayed with them. I should have maintained my distance from her. Because at the back of my mind, I know she'll walk away from me and I am not sure if I will be strong enough to let her go. Much less survive without her in my life.

I run my hand through her hair and Zeus howls inside of me. He's in pain. Literal pain. And so am I.

'Mate' that's all he says and I block him, my head is hurting now.

I take my hand away from Artemis' hair and clutch my head, and on cue, her eyes flutter open.

"Why are you not sleeping?" She asks, her voice groggy.

"I was talking to Leah"

"Are you in pain?" She asks, this time sounding more awake.

"A little"

"Why?" She makes a move to sit but I hold her back.

"It's nothing. Go back to sleep Artemis"

"What's paining?" She demands and I groan but answer her, "My head"

"Because of me?"

Yes. No. I don't know. Fuck me, I DON'T KNOW.

I don't want her to worry so I tell her, "Nah. Just Zeus, being his difficult self" which isn't a lie.