CHAPTER 34

Chapter 34

"Please behave yourself Artemis" Mom says one last time as she gets out of the door. These past three weeks have been hell, thanks to my overbearing mother being on my case everyday she was here and not on her work site.

No wonder I couldn't wait for her to go back already.

I give her an innocent smile and say, "Of course"

LA's snort almost makes me punch him. Almost.

"Have a safe flight Aunt Liv!" S calls out.

"Thank you Stella" Mom gives her a smile and waves at her. When she has reached the rental car that my parents booked to take them to the airstrip, Pa walks to me.

"Did Ed tell you about the mission?" He asks with a worried expression.

I shrug. "He told me that I'll be gone for almost a week, nothing else"

"When?"

"I leave the day after tomorrow"

"Who all are going?" Pa probes.

"LA, S and I" As far as I know...

"What about school?"

"I have a test in Physics and one in Chemistry next week, but my professor is letting me take my Physics test today and chemistry test tomorrow, so I won't really miss anything important"

"You good with chemistry?" He asks with concern.

"Cameron is a good tutor, and I am feeling pretty confident" I smile at my Pa. I know he is more anxious about him leaving and me going on my 'biggest mission ever' as uncle Ed would say.

"Here" Pa passes me a black Amex card and I scowl at him.

"What for?"

"I won't be here for your birthday" The look on his face makes my heart break. If I hadn't heard him arguing with Aunt Mel about leaving early every night this past week, it would have been hard for me to believe that he really wanted to stay back for it.

"It's okay Pa" I try to tell him, but I know he doesn't think so. He hates himself for not being there for me on my big 18, especially because he is convinced that I'll find my mate on my birthday.

"Get yourself whatever you want" his smile is strained.

"Anything?" I tease.

"Anything" he says seriously.

"You might regret that" I smirk, but his face has a serious expression.

"Never" He vows.

I gulp the sudden lump in my throat and will my eyes to not leak.

"Cool"

"Artemis..." He looks like he is about to tell me something important, but stops himself at the last minute.

"What Pa?" I ask curiously.

He shakes his head. "Nothing" He says, "Your mom and I love you kiddo" He says and even though my relationship with the two of them is rocky, I know his words are honest.

I nod my head and he takes me in a tight hug.

"I'll miss you" I tell him in a soft voice, a tear slipping from my eyes.

He stiffens, but tightens his hold around me. "Not more than me, my baby" His voice is too thick. Too much emotions.

Pulling back, he kisses my forehead, pats my cheek and finally steps back.