Chapter 5

Would any of you be interested in reading an interview with Adrian?

"Oh, come on! Stop stressing out and let's go for a drink!" Sasha flung her arm around my neck in a sideways hug

"I'm not stressing out, and I'm not in a mood for a drink," I replied, disentangling myself from my partner and opening the door for her. She sighed and walked out first. I caught up to her at the middle of the steps leading to the well-illuminated Sentinel parking lot.

"You used to be much more fun when we met," she noted, as we walked towards my car and waved at a Sentinel colleague, coming in for the night shift.

I didn't reply.

We'd met years ago, when I was fresh out of the Academy and a rookie Sentinel. Things were different back then. I was different back then. And Peter was...

The familiar lump of pain and guilt formed in my throat and lodged inside it, making it difficult to swallow. A weakness overcame me, a feeling of nausea and the desire to fall to my knees was almost overwhelming.

"Ian." Sasha lightly touched my shoulder, her voice gentle. "It's been four years. Let it go."

Let it go.

As if it was that easy to get over the death of your best friend, the person with whom you've shared everything since you were a toddler. The person you grew up with, who had the same ideals and dreams, and who, as another Gifted, understood some things that ordinary humans wouldn't. As if I could just forget what happened to him, that I...

Sasha's arms enveloped me in a warm, firm hug.

I'm here for you, she was saying. Peter is gone, but I'm your partner now. Your friend. You can rely on me.

I patted her on the back and took a step away from her. I loved Sasha, I really did, but she couldn't replace Peter.

No one could.

"You absolutely sure you don't want a drink?" Sasha asked, holding the passenger door open so she could speak to me

"You absolutely sure you don't want a drink?" Sasha asked, holding the passenger door open so she could speak to me. I could tell by the worry in her eyes that she knew I wouldn't change my mind. After all, I did not drink when I was upset and thinking about Peter always upset me. Even when I tried to concentrate on the good times - fighting off bullies together, pranking our teachers, signing up for the Sentinel Academy or moving into our own apartment - they inevitably made me think that the guy I loved as my brother was no longer here.