Chapter 36

~ The Previous Day ~Vika was driving one of my cars

Vika was driving one of my cars.

I'd let her do that after she'd pointed out I was in no state to operate the machine and I'd been in no mood to argue with her.

The trip from Greenwood to Woodville was quiet, the only sounds being the low rumble of our engine and the other vehicles on the road. The lack of conversation meant that I was in my head, attempting to sort out confusing thoughts and even more confusing emotions.

One: there was the panic attack at the possibility of losing contact with Adrian.

This was too complicated for me to fully comprehend, but it was clear I'd gotten way more attached to the Gifted human than I'd intended to.

Two: there was my decision to register but before that... There was the need for a conversation, the urge to come clean with my father of all people.

If my unexpected feelings towards Adrian were baffling, this decision was even more so, but I'd made it nevertheless, thus the drive to Woodville.

We were almost there and I was still clueless as to what to say. Well, not so much what, as how.
The closer we got to my father's hometown, the more I pondered on where to begin. This lack of direction was what had pushed Adrian to the back of my mind, but even the anxiety of the approaching impromptu family gathering couldn't completely erase the Sentinel from my mind.

Just as we were about to enter Woodville, Vika pulled over and stopped the car.

"What are you doing?" I asked languidly.

Without taking off her seatbelt, my cousin turned to me and asked:

"You sure you want to do this? Both things?"

I turned my head away from the side window to face her before replying evenly:

"Yes."

She sighed and reached towards the handbag she'd thrown on the backseat.

"Then I've got to make a phone call."

Vika's phone call had turned out to be to Adam

Vika's phone call had turned out to be to Adam. She'd put him on speaker and I'd listened disinterestedly as she'd filled him in on what was going on and they'd formed a plan of action to minimize the damage I was about to inflict onto myself tomorrow morning.

But I couldn't worry about The Order back then; I'd been too preoccupied with imagining possible outcomes to my meeting with my father.

I was soon to find out if any of my conjectures would play out.

Vika was driving through the Bullets' neighborhood, Everett's home in the distance, inevitably getting closer. She parked at the same place I had the last time I'd been here, but unlike then, no one was waiting outside for me.