Chapter 45

Did you take the Which DB&M Character is Your Perfect Valentine's Date quiz yet?

The link is given as an External link and in the first comment to this chapter!

Vika pushed the tray of untouched pastries over my coffee table and closer to me

"You got to eat at some point, cous," she said, worry coating her words. "These are from Mayflour ." She tried to coax me again, but I didn't move from my position on the couch, lying down on my back with my forearm over my forehead.

"I know you're upset, but you got to pull yourself together," she went on after a while, but if she wanted to say more, it would have to wait. Vika huffed and got up to answer the knock on the door while I kept staring at the white ceiling above me.

"We have a guest," my cousin announced from the hallway, her voice getting closer as she spoke, but it took a moment for me to make out a second set of footsteps.

Someone with such quiet footfalls coming over?

"Hi, Uncle Kennedy." I greeted without turning my head to look at the two.

Vika sighed again before saying: "I'll leave you to it. Good luck; you are going to need it."

The words were obviously aimed at the newcomer.

I listened to her departing, picking her keys and her bike helmet off the corner table next to the front door. In the meantime, Kennedy plopped on the seat she'd vacated and helped himself to the pastries.

"You know," he started between his second and third cupcake, "as your uncle, I got to say, I'm very disappointed with you."

I gave him a small, one-sided smirk.

"And not as my uncle?" I asked.

"I'm still disappointed."

From the corner of my eyes, I saw him shove that third cupcake into his mouth.

"Aren't you going to ask me why?" He asked once he'd swallowed the treat.

"Because the meeting went badly and I was ruled out of your grounds," I said evenly, my gaze still on the ceiling above.

Kennedy pfft-ed and waved a hand at me. "That was to be expected."

I turned my gaze to him to encourage him to go on; he probably would've anyway, but now I was curious what he had in mind.

"What I didn't expect is to find you moping like a little bitch."

I snorted, my smirk wider this time as I teased him: "Language, Uncle Kennedy."

He got a hold of two more cupcakes and threw one my way. I caught it with the hand that had been resting on my stomach.

"Seriously," he continued, chomping off a huge piece of cupcake with his teeth. "What's with the woe is me act? Pull yourself together already."